View: 1153|Reply: 8

SER8 Ubuntu display and audio issues

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2024-08-17 22:18:00 | Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by Tapster at 2024-08-17 22:19

I'm using the latest Ubuntu release 24.04 on my SER8.  In general it works well but I have two issues that I cannot find solutions for:

1. The option to power off the screen/display after a period of inactivity doesn't work.  The screen goes blank after the set inactivity period but doesn't power off, then the screen comes back on again in 10 seconds.

2. When the SER8 wakes from sleep/suspend the audio is extremely quiet, so quiet it may as well be completely off.  The only way to restore audio is to reboot, which makes the sleep function useless.

There is no issue with screen powering off in Windows 11.  However Windows 11 had the same issue with audio being very quiet after waking from sleep until I installed a fix for the Realtek HD audio driver that I found in another thread on this forum.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2024-08-19 15:33:21 | Show all posts
HI there
Please email us a picture of SN number and BIOS version .
So we would be able to know whether it is latest BIOS and send you files accordingly.
Here`s how to check your BIOS version:
https://mega.nz/#F!yuISGa4I!s1bQQajKwnsEdzjqq4nopQ 
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2024-08-19 15:36:26 | Show all posts
Here are the solutions for the issues you're encountering:
1. Screen Not Fully Powering Off:
1.Ensure Power Management is Enabled:
2.Open a terminal and run the following commands:
bash
sudo apt-get install dconf-editor
dconf-editor

3.Navigate to org/gnome/settings-daemon/plugins/power and check the settings for power-off-monitor.

4.Adjust Power Settings in GNOME:

5.If you are using the GNOME desktop environment, you can adjust the display power settings by going to Settings > Power. Ensure the options for blanking and turning off the display are correctly set.

2. Audio Issue:

1.Try Reloading Audio Drivers:

2.Run the following command to reload the ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) drivers:
bash
sudo alsa force-reload

3.Update or Reinstall Audio Drivers:

4..If the problem persists, you may need to update or reinstall the audio drivers. Try the following commands:
bash
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install --reinstall alsa-base pulseaudio

5.Check Volume Settings:

Use pavucontrol (PulseAudio Volume Control) to check and adjust audio settings. Install it if you don’t have it already:
bash
sudo apt-get install pavucontrol
pavucontrol

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2024-08-19 21:57:42 | Show all posts
About the display sleeping, I had the same problem (MX Linux, Debian 12 based), my Dell monitor would "scan" hdmi1, hdmi2, DP, etc and somehow this made the monitor resuming. I also tried various fixes in Linux and none work. Finally I went in my Dell monitor settings to lock the input on "HDMI1" and when it goes to sleep, it properly stays in sleep. Try it?
SER5 5600H 32/500 - MX Linux

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2024-08-19 22:03:52 | Show all posts
Edited by Magister at 2024-08-19 09:16

For the sound, problem looks like the audio amplifier is not set after resume, if it needs new driver for linux, of course it's not beelink doing them, it's realtek/community... so go in some linux forums to see if a fix is coming.

have you tried to reload the modules?

modprobe -r snd_hda_intel
modprobe snd_hda_intel

It can also be the audio mixer, maybe you need to use the software based one, something like this
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title ... AC_until_30%_volume

You can also try to go to alasamixer, select your soundcard, make sure volume is at 100% for instance, then do
sudo alsactl store
see https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PipeWire#Low_volume
SER5 5600H 32/500 - MX Linux

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2024-08-21 23:22:15 | Show all posts
Thanks tuiguang4 and Magister for your help.  Much appreciated.

I've tried all suggested fixes plus a few more found trawling online, but I've come up empty.

My Acer monitor doesn't have a settings option to lock the input to HDMI, but it doesn't seem to hunt through the inputs like the Dell when linux suspends.  I'll try using the display port instead but will need to acquire a DP cable first.

The sound issue after suspend is most likely an issue with the Realtek HD Audio driver in the linux kernel, since a driver update fixed the same issue in Windows 11.  I haven't found any reference to a forthcoming fix but I suspect it will happen in time.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2024-08-22 22:28:09 | Show all posts
how about you try to test it with a dp cable and then see if that could work? thanks

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2024-09-04 22:19:21 | Show all posts
An update for anyone with the same issues.

Using display port instead of HDMI solved my problem with the monitor not powering off in Linux, but doesn't explain why this is necessary since it works fine on HDMI or DP in Windows.

I found no solution for the Linux audio issues (no audio after waking from suspend).  I have now tried the same Ubuntu distro on a SER5 5560U and there are no audio problems, so it seems to be specific to the SER8.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2024-09-05 16:21:54 | Show all posts
Tapster replied at 2024-09-04 22:19
An update for anyone with the same issues.

Using display port instead of HDMI solved my problem wit ...

Hello there,
now we only have audio driver for Windows system to solve this problem,if your machine is linux,pls go to kernel.org website to download the driver,hope it can help you.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign up

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list