Author: ChrisWNY

SEi12 i5-1235U - latest Intel ARC drivers cause major system crashes

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2024-04-14 01:42:27 | Show all posts
Edited by ChrisWNY at 2024-04-14 02:02

Generally it takes longer than a minute for the problem to occur. Allow your system to idle for a couple of hours with the newest Intel ARC GPU drivers and let me know if it functions properly. The crash may take a couple of hours to occur.

Are you able to upgrade to Windows 11 23H2 and verify this issue from your side? It doesn't really make sense to downgrade Windows 11 considering I'd lose the security patches, etc. I'd rather just run with older GPU drivers than downgrade Windows 11. I've been running on 23H2 for quite some time.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Super Moderator

Credits
Post time 2024-04-15 11:52:05 | Show all posts
Hi there,

We will try to do more test.
Keep in touch

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2024-04-15 12:04:15 | Show all posts
I was also able to reproduce this issue with a brand new, never-used, Beelink SEi i7-12650H mini-PC. I unboxed the mini-PC, powered it on, went through initial setup, then allowed Windows to update, as well as running the Intel Driver Assistant to update the drivers on the system. Sure enough, Intel ARC 3.0.101.5382 drivers installed. Upon the display going to sleep on its own after 25 minutes, the system became unresponsive, requiring a hard power cycle to return to running status. Same exact problem the Beelink i5-1235U mini-PC is having.

The new i7-12650H mini-PC was connected to the same monitor, etc. as the i5-1235U Beelink mini-PC. So I now suspect there's a couple of issues going on...

Either the new Intel ARC drivers do not like the 74.97Hz refresh rate of the monitor (so I have set to 60Hz to test), OR there's a firmware issue that spans multiple Beelink mini-PC systems using similar architectures. The GPU inside the i7-12650H is a 12th gen Intel UHD GPU, while the i5-1235U uses Intel Iris Xe graphics. I bolded the refresh rate of the monitor I'm using because it's not a common refresh rate. Both systems are running fully updated versions of Windows 11 Pro, 23H2.

I will report back once this system has run for awhile at 60Hz refresh rate.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Super Moderator

Credits
Post time 2024-04-15 16:42:05 | Show all posts
Base on the version of 22H2, it works fine after it idles for more than one hour.
I will test it with the version of 23H2.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2024-04-16 00:59:10 | Show all posts
Edited by ChrisWNY at 2024-04-16 12:18

Thanks!

Further info...on both systems, I've noticed that powering the display off and on (after moving the mouse or hitting a key on the keyboard) will restore video and full functionality of the system, rather than having to completely reboot by powering the PC off/on.

What is still happening is that when the display powers off automatically (sleeps), moving the mouse/pressing keyboard buttons does NOT cause the display to kick back on. The display has to be powered off and on manually to get video (which is problematic for apps such as Parsec that rely on capturing actual video), and it's evident the system is NOT actually crashing...it's 100% a GPU/display issue and related to the latest Intel ARC drivers since this behavior does not happen with v5085 and earlier versions.

A workaround for apps like Parsec would be to unplug the display entirely and use their Virtual Display Drivers, and setting the Display to never sleep within Windows Power options. This would allow remote access to the system via Parsec...if a physical display is connected the system is inaccessible via a video capture app once the display goes into sleep mode. Microsoft's Remote Desktop (RDP) however still works (as RDP doesn't really utilize the GPU driver). The expected, correct behavior would be for the display to sleep, then when a connection is made from a remote streaming app like Parsec, or when the keyboard or mouse were active the display would flip right back on, but that's not what's happening. Until the display is powered off then back on, video will not work. Disconnecting the HDMI cable from the back of the mini-PC fixes the behavior when remotely connecting.

Other users have reported this issue within Amazon customer reviews. I've attached one such review for the i5-12450H mini-PC.

Screenshot 2024-04-15 131605.png

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Super Moderator

Credits
Post time 2024-04-20 13:10:02 | Show all posts
Hi there,

After I updated it to 23H2, it also works fine.
What is the brand of your monitor ?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2024-04-24 22:00:03 | Show all posts
I'm using a 27-inch ACER S271HL 75Hz display with this system.

I suspect Parsec's virtual display drivers are also potentially problematic. Intel Support has been working on this issue...their ARC drivers have had problems with Parsec in the past.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Super Moderator

Credits
Post time 7 day(s) ago | Show all posts
ChrisWNY replied at 2024-04-24 22:00
I'm using a 27-inch ACER S271HL 75Hz display with this system.

I suspect Parsec's virtual display d ...

Hi there,

Could you please try another monitor to verify the problem ?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time The day before yesterday 20:41 | Show all posts
Tried 2 different monitors - a Dell 24 inch and a LG Ultragear 24 inch 144Hz monitor. Same issues. When the display goes to sleep (with Parsec installed and running on the Beelink SEi host), the display won't wake unless it's powered off then back on. I still suspect this is an Intel driver issue.

Use magic Report

Return to list New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign up

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list