[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2024-03-10 10:10:22 | Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by wsdookadr at 2024-03-10 10:11

Hello there :)
Recently I purchased two SEi8.
On one of them WoL works perfectly (tested with a script doing suspend-resume repeatedly 10 times or so).
On the other one it does not work.
I'm attaching pictures with their serial numbers.
In what follows I'm providing details on the behavior I'm seeing.

After the following sequence of operations
suspend (working)
resume-via-WoL (working)
suspend (working)
resume-via-WoL (unresponsive)

In the last step of this sequence multiple things happen:
1. the system is unresponsive via USB keyboard/mouse
2. the display is dead
3. if I reboot, when it boots again, the wlan0 interface is absent

The only way to recover from this is to re-plug the power source on it.
I don't know what sort of conclusion I could draw from this. The only thing that comes to mind is that it stores something in RAM that disappears after loss of power and it fixes the problem.

That's why I downloaded memtest86 and did a full ~2h test on the 8GB memory, it passed all the tests. So the memory isn't faulty either.
I've run out of ideas. How can I fix this? Is there a BIOS update that could fix this?

Thank you,
Stefan

WoL-defective
not-working-sei8.jpeg

WoL-working
working-sei8.jpeg

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Super Moderator

Credits
Post time 2024-03-11 11:57:44 | Show all posts
Hi there,

① Please make sure that you are using the same Wlan
② What WOL software are you using ? Please try this software https://mega.nz/file/Ky4BmRhL#03 ... fuGa8UTlPm43dkbWKXc
③ Please try this tutorial https://mega.nz/file/H7Ji1QgC#s6 ... v23pSzcG03TIbWlhanQ
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2024-03-18 06:38:44 | Show all posts
I've updated to the BIOS you gave me. There were two types of tests I was performing
1. repeated suspend/wakeonlan cycle
2. repeated reboot

I was getting the same behavior of freezing after some cycles of Test1 or Test2.
So after a few cycles the box becomes unresponsive.

After this I did something unusual. I literally flipped the box on its head, so it's upside down now.
It now passes both tests, even with 30 iterations, in a reliable way.

What could it be that makes this box unreliable in normal position but work flawlessly when upside down?

Thanks!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Super Moderator

Credits
Post time 2024-03-18 13:43:16 | Show all posts
wsdookadr replied at 2024-03-18 06:38
I've updated to the BIOS you gave me. There were two types of tests I was performing
1. repeated sus ...

Hi  there,

Here are some possible explanations:
1.Fan positioning: If the fan is not properly positioned or is blocked in the normal orientation, it might not be able to efficiently cool the components. Flipping the box upside down could change the airflow and allow better cooling, preventing the system from overheating and freezing.
2.Component alignment or contact: There might be a loose connection or misalignment of a component inside the box that is causing issues in the normal position. Flipping the box could potentially realign something or improve the contact, resulting in a more stable operation.
3.Static electricity or dust build-up: Upside-down positioning might change the way static electricity or dust accumulates inside the box, which could potentially impact the electronics.
4.Mechanical stress: The normal position of the box might put mechanical stress on certain components, causing them to malfunction over time. Flipping it upside down could relieve that stress.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign up

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list