View: 310|Reply: 4

Problem booting from USB on mini S12

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2024-02-19 17:13:37 | Show all posts |Read mode
I'm trying to get a specific bootable USB to boot on the mini S12.

I've spent days on attempts, workarounds and they are too numerous to discuss or solve here.  So I'll just ask a couple fo specific questions, so I can at least make an inch of progress.

When I boot the machine and hit f7, there is never ANY option to select a boot disk.
The only option displayed is to go to the BIOS settings.
Even when I insert a known bootable USB (A USB that actually boots on this machine), there is still nothing displayed when I hit f7.
Why?

In my failed attempts to get this USB to boot, the machine just keeps booting from the internal NVME drive.  So I went into the BIOS and disabled all boot options (NVME, hard drive, etc) just to make it stop.  However it keeps booting form the internal drive, even tough I told it NOT too.  How can I make it so it NEVER boots from that internal drive (short of ripping out the drive)?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2024-02-20 01:41:29 | Show all posts
I have a vey similar problem with my SER7 7840 that I have just got. Computer will not bring up boot menu with F7 on start up and after setting usb as first boot device continues to boot to mvme hd
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2024-02-21 18:28:07 | Show all posts
① Change the first boot entry of BIOS's BOOT to USB. ② What is the format of your USB drive? Try changing it to another format. ③ Ensure system files are correct

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2024-02-23 04:48:59 | Show all posts
Thanks for the replies.

With regard to problem #1, where the f7 menu shows no disk options other than go to bios settings:
This has nothing to do with the order of the boot disks in the bios.
If I insert a known bootable USB drive (a drive that actually DOES boot on this machine), there are still no options displayed when hitting f7.  I've tried multiple USB drive that have multiple formats.  They all will boot on this machine.  However when I hit f7, there are no disks options displayed.  It doesn't list anything (no USB disk, no NVME disk, nothing).

With regard to problem #2.  This has nothing to do with USB drives.  I simply disable every boot option in the bios, so the machine should NOT boot.  Yet it still boots the NVME drive.  Why?  How do I prevent booting of that NVME drive?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2024-02-24 12:48:43 | Show all posts
For the problem #1, it need your USB drive support  UEFI.

And for the problem #2, have you pressed F4 to save your setting?

Looking forward to your feedback so that we can help you better.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign up

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list