View: 528|Reply: 7

Install OpenSUSE linux on Beelink SER5

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-12-08 05:34:09 | Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by MNeido at 2023-12-08 10:18

I have a new BeeLink SER5.  I want to preserve the original Windows on the NVMe drive,so I got a new NVMe drive and installed it.

I have my linux on an USB drive.  I'm all set to go, but I need to know the steps to take so that the install will begin.
Please suggest the steps or point me to a resource that has the steps.  I only need help getting to the point where the install takes over.

Thank you very much...and happy holidays greetings to all.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Super Moderator

Credits
Post time 2023-12-08 18:18:07 | Show all posts
Hello there ,

If you want to preserve the original Windows installation on your NVMe drive and dual boot it with Linux, you will need to create a separate disk partition before installing Linux. Here are the steps you can follow:

After booting from the Linux installation USB drive, you will reach a point in the installation process where you are prompted to choose a disk or partition to install Linux on.

At this stage, you will see a disk/partition management tool. Select the option to manually partition the disk.

Look for your NVMe drive in the list of available drives. It may be labeled as something like “/dev/nvme0” or “/dev/sda”.

Select your NVMe drive and choose the option to create a new partition. Allocate a portion of the drive’s space for the Linux installation. You can typically do this by specifying the partition size in gigabytes and choosing a filesystem type for the Linux partition (e.g., ext4).

Make sure not to format or delete the existing Windows partition during this process. Keep it as is.

Once you have created the Linux partition, proceed with the installation process as guided by the Linux installation wizard. The installer will prompt you to select the newly created partition for the Linux installation.

Follow the remaining steps of the installation wizard to complete the Linux installation.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2023-12-09 05:00:31 | Show all posts
Thank you.  Where I need help is the steps before where you start.  I have many years of PC experience, but I have avoided UFEI and all that comes with it.  So, I can get into the BIOS of my SER5, what changes do I make there to allow the linux install? Things like: UEFI, Secure Boot, and any other of settings on that level to enable a linux only NVMe drive. As I mentioned, I did purchase a new NVMe drive and have replaced the one with Windows on it(which I am saving)...and I am preserving that in case it is needed in the future.  Al information is appreciated.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Super Moderator

Credits
Post time 2023-12-13 09:58:48 | Show all posts
MNeido replied at 2023-12-09 05:00
Thank you.  Where I need help is the steps before where you start.  I have many years of PC experien ...

Hello there,

Do you want to boot with Legacy rather than UEFI ?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2023-12-19 06:13:02 | Show all posts
Edited by MNeido at 2023-12-20 05:11

That is an interesting question.  Seems to me that once booted, linux ls linux and how I got to the "command prompt" or "gui" doesn't matter. Is that correct?  This is brand new to me--I have avoided UEFI since it came out.

Thank you...by the way...and happy holidays.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2023-12-22 04:31:08 | Show all posts
Thank you for the help.  Today I got a bit tired of waiting, so I threw caution to the wind (to an extent) and did the UEFI install of linux onto my SER5.  The engineers at SUSE who updated the installer did a super job. Install was easy, and painless.  Onward to configuration, and copy files from the old computer.

Best wishes.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-12-23 09:53:51 | Show all posts
Thanks for that report. I may try something similar soon.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-12-23 09:54:34 | Show all posts
Thanks for that report. I may try something similar soon.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign up

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list