View: 759|Reply: 9

SER7 - DisplayPort challenge & Windows 11 Pro activation

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-12-06 05:12:08 | Show all posts |Read mode
TL;DR:  Looking for help with DisplayPort, and I need the relevant information to activate Windows 11 Pro.

Recently I purchased a Beelink SER7 (32GB RAM/1TB SSD) after doing some research and reading/watching many reviews.  I decided this would make for a great home lab server.  And so far I do not regret my choice.  So first, congratulations on a very nice product.  This SER7 appears well built and solid.

I have had two (2) minor issues with it, however, since setting it up and beginning to test everything.  (Force of habit, I always initially test all the ports/etc. of a new computer to make sure everything works.)

It looks like this forum limits posts, so will break this into pieces.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2023-12-06 05:13:11 | Show all posts
Issue #1:  DisplayPort

First, I have been unable to use the DisplayPort adapter.  I suspect this is more due to the fact I am trying to connect an old Apple 27" Thunderbolt Display (using a mini-DisplayPort-to-Displayport adapter).  I have also tried using the Apple Thunderbolt3-to-Thunderbolt2 (i.e., mini-DisplayPort-to-USB-C) adapter, but no luck there either.  But this may well be due to the specific nature of the display.  I know the display itself works, as I have used it on 2 different Macs, one using the USB-C adapter.  Unfortunately, I do not have another DisplayPort monitor to test with.  If you are aware of any issues around the DisplayPort connector on the back, or possible workarounds, please let me know.  (e.g., I do not know whether there are firmware updates for the SER7's BIOS/etc.)

In the meantime, I was able to hook up the SER7 to my living room Samsung TV via HDMI, and that confirmed the mini PC itself was booting up properly.  With a USB keyboard/mouse and connecting it via WiFi, I then went to town.  I setup my local Windows account and then updated Windows 11 Pro (usual rinse/repeat "until there were none").  Afterwards I tried the Apple Display again, just in case the issue was about Windows drivers.  But sadly, no love.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2023-12-06 05:28:02 | Show all posts
This forum software is buggy.  I have tried twice now to update this thread and had the post go off into the ether.  VERY annoying.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2023-12-06 05:29:47 | Show all posts
Edited by fseesink at 2023-12-06 05:47

Attempt #3...

Issue #2:  Windows 11 Pro activation

Tried to activate Windows 11 Pro, but got this:

Screenshot 2023-12-05 115805.png

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2023-12-06 05:43:08 | Show all posts
And now, after editing an existing post, it deleted that, too!  Just. wow.

It should NOT be this hard to send you all posts with simple images attached.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2023-12-06 05:45:17 | Show all posts
troubleshootingcompleted.png

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2023-12-06 05:53:26 | Show all posts
(This forum software is bonkers.  I don't mind a post being flagged for being checked.  But how about letting the poster themselves SEE the flagged post, so they can maybe edit/fix the issue to avoid that altogether?)

I had this originally written up in a nice, single post, complete with screenshots to SHOW exactly what I was experiencing.  But to this forum software, I had to break that into pieces.  And then THAT didn't work well, as half the posts up and disappeared without warning or indication.  And here at the end, I see that when I click [Reply post], it pops up a message just above this edit area about needing to moderate/check the post (sorry, forget the exact wording), which then disappears, along with my post so I can't even check what it was that might have gotten it flagged. *sigh*

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2023-12-06 05:56:58 | Show all posts
So let me be clear:

1. I need the Windows 11 Pro product key for my SER7.  I can provide a photo of the bottom of the unit if someone replies here so I can DM them.

2. If you have any advice/insights on how to make the DisplayPort work with an Apple 27" Thunderbolt Display, or simply to confirm the port itself is working, please let me know.

Thank you.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-12-06 10:07:32 | Show all posts
hello, for the key, have sent it to your private message, but for the displayport issue, it may not support it, even if you use the adapter, it might have the incompatibility issue, Hope it helps, Have a nice day!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2023-12-07 04:38:16 | Show all posts
Thank you so much!  I really appreciate the quick response!

As for the DisplayPort issue, I am coming to realize I may simply not be able to use this monitor.  It has a Thunderbolt connection, as opposed to simply DisplayPort, so I suspect the mini-DisplayPort-to-DisplayPort adapter isn't going to work at all.  And even the Apple Thunderbolt3-to-Thunderbolt2 (USB-C) adapter doesn't look like it will work.  With the SER7 connected to my TV via HDMI (so I could see the screen), the dongle was partially detected by Windows when I plugged it into the front USB-C port only (I got a popup message from Windows saying something about partial support).  No clue whether that was due to lack of Windows activation (I doubt it) or, more likely, that it simply isn't fully supported.

Anyway, should I ever get it working, I will report back.  But for now, I will just deal with it.  Again, overall I really do like this SER7.  It is a very nicely made unit.  I have had to carry it back/forth between my office (where the Apple display is) and my living room (for the HDMI connection), and each time I pick it up, I think, "Man this is nice."  So again, kudos to your engineers.  Nice work.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign up

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list