View: 911|Reply: 5

First impressions of my GTR7 Pro

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-07-13 19:48:09 | Show all posts |Read mode
First impressions on the GTR 7 Pro

Well, after the fun and games of  "It's in stock, No it's not in stock, Yes we have UK power supplies, No we don't have Uk power supplies, It's on its way tomorrow, It's on its way soon-ish etc" it arrived from Fedex.

Not doing the whole cringey unboxing video piece just comments on the machine.

OK, arrived pretty well packaged, the machine boxing is nice, well thought out, quality look and feel, small things like the orange ribbon wrapped under the machine to make it easier to lift out as opposed to turn the box over, shaking and hoping you don't drop it, is nice.

Bits are as described, machine, two HDMI cables, short and longer, wall mount plate and seperate bag of screws and power supply and cable.

First minor happy head scratcher. I had been told there were no UK power supplies available, I agreed to a US style one which I would use a mains adapter with. I actually got a UK power supply.

This is different to the stock one, more like a standard laptop PSU with the magnetic output cable wired in and a removeable, clover leaf C5 type mains plug. Possibly this is for ease of use for other countries as all you need to do is source a couyntry specific mains cable and ship the same unit to multiple countries.

Oh be aware, when you take off the outside base plate, the inner plate, there are 3 seperate screws, the easy to get to one on the middle back of the inner plate IS NOT the same size as all of the others, it's about half again the thread length of all the other screws so, just be mindful

Power the machine on and the next slight head scratcher. This is NOT the "standard" Windows initial set up, it is shorter, doesn't include setting up a wireless network conection and doesn't let you select a Microsoft account, you have to create a local machine account you can't get updates during set up and have to set up Microsoft account after startup. Not a problem, just a little jarring.

On start up, minimal amounts of the usual bloatware, updates went quickly and no issues.

So, clean install, created a Microsoft account, rechecked all updates completed, I then downloaded HWInfo, CrystalDisk, Geekbench6 and AIDA64 then rebooted.

So, machine has as sold a Crucial P3 Plus drive, specs say it is sequential Read 5000 MB/s and sequential write 3600 MB/s. Checked with CrystalDisk and yep, 5163 MB/s and 3656 MB/s so marginally better than stock.

Checked the RAM, 2 x 16 GB Crucial DDR5 5600 so good to go there, Intel AX200 WiFi 6, connect OK, no issues but for a nice Amazon Prime price I'll upgrade to a 210

AIDA64 doesn't seem to have quite caught up to the processor type yet, asked for a check list file to be sent to them, so I just used it for the stress test, I'll get the info on temps etc from HWInfo.

Geekbench run and getting  pretty good results, basically top 1 or 2 of the results for 7940HS CPU and top few for Compute (the GPU testing)

Single-Core score        2737
Multi-Core Score                12605

Compute (Vulkan)        36997
Compute (OpenCL)        33048

OK, runs well, needs moah SDD......

Next was to open up, and drop in a much better SSD, SK-Hynix Platinum P41 2TB, specs are Sequential Read 7000 MB/s and Sequential Write 6500 MB/s

Test results are 7157 and 6851..... another excellent investment during Amazon Prime.....

So, what next .... Stress Test time, lets see if AIDA64 can cripple it .... or not

Ran the AIDA64 stress test, had to use HWInfo for the numbers as AIDA hasn't gotten the reporting hooks for this processor sorted yet, ran for 60 minutes no throttling pretty cool (comparitively)

Start up numbers
(temperatures in C, after leaving the machine powered on overnight)

CPU Tctl/Tdie                average 32.1
CPU core                     average 30.1
CPU SOC                      average 30.6

APU GFX (core temp)          average 28.4

DDR 0                        average 32.4
DDR 1                        average 32.4

Disk 1                       average 38 (stock Crucial P3 SSD)
Disk 2                       average 42 (SK-Hynix P41)

GPU                          average 29.0

Temperature numbers, full stress test, after 60 minutes

CPU Tctl/Tdie                average 67.7        max 78.6
CPU core                     average 66.9        max 77.6
CPU SOC                      average 56.6        max 63.8

APU GFX (core temp)          average 61.9        max 73.6

DDR 0                        average 62.8        max 73.5
DDR 1                        average 58.5        max 68.8

Disk 1                       average 54        max 63 (stock Crucial P3 SSD)
Diak 2                       average 53        max 64 (SK-Hynix P41)

GPU                          average 62.5        max 70.2

Back of the device with the air outlets got a bit toasty, finger hot, not burny-burny.

The fan kicked in at about 8-10 minutes in, ramped up to noticeably with a tiny bit of coil whine but didn't make my ears bleed

Once the stress testing terminated the device cooled down pretty rapidly and returned to base temps in 3-5 minutes

So far no sign of the 16GB good, 32GB bad issue folks have reported
So far no sign of any issues AS YET.... we wait with bated breath.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-07-13 22:23:11 | Show all posts
I'm running Linux Nobara, runs great except the NVme ssd numbers are down about a 1000.  I get about 6300 seq. read compared to the windows 7500.

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-07-13 22:49:50 | Show all posts
number of sticks has nothing to do with it 16GB still can be an issue it's to do with C6 settings are needed in bios to avoid any risk of issues that RAM has caused some users.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-07-13 23:29:36 | Show all posts
Is your GTR7's power adapter bivolt?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-07-14 01:10:58 | Show all posts
Mark62 replied at 2023-07-13 22:23
I'm running Linux Nobara, runs great except the NVme ssd numbers are down about a 1000.  I get about ...

Is it stable? What did you do?

Nobara was the best distro I tried to use with my GTR7 Pro, it detected and sustained the 4K resolution of my monitor and had almost no issues with the WiFi. But my machine kept restarting after some time.

Any help is appreciated! :D

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-07-30 01:20:58 | Show all posts
fsentelhas replied at 2023-07-14 01:10
Is it stable? What did you do?

Nobara was the best distro I tried to use with my GTR7 Pro, it de ...

Yeah it is stable for me.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign up

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list