Author: cpilch78

GTR7 7840HS - random reboots

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-07-11 02:38:52 | Show all posts
Edited by wingrime at 2023-07-11 02:47

After disabling c6 sleep, using amd-c6-disable on linux I have no reboots so far. So that issue related with cpu sleep modes and ddr5 power-save - wakeup  I would be gald if some one besides me try this fix and report

Sleep modes important on laptop and less important on mini-pc so it is not realy a issue.
Support, can you redirect my expirence to bios devs? They can implement this workaround easily until amd find better fix.
it better fix with it fast, until customers start consider return. It would be shame that powerfull and nice device gain bad reputation.  

Reply Support 4 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-07-11 03:28:44 | Show all posts
Edited by GarethRossUK at 2023-07-11 03:32
wingrime replied at 2023-07-11 02:38
After disabling c6 sleep, using amd-c6-disable on linux I have no reboots so far. So that issue rela ...

This might be possible without bios I know I had to go into modifying a sound cards sleep state to never sleep to prevent a speaker pop when ever the sound wakes up from sleep on a laptop.

This is why I love devices with a large community, it's use the users who find the little magic to better things for everyone.

I am going to post bellow how I stopped a speaker pop it's only the case of finding the device key within device manager if it's listed within device manager but does not have an option you can still force no power save and no sleep.

I’ve had sound pop for a while can’t put my finger when I first was aware but it wasn’t out of the box.

After Chris pointed out the issue with the speaker from in the F7 model I returned to figuring out what would resolve this.

I had been following the line of DSP Latency being the cause but looking online those fixes involved playing about with the CPU power settings and timings neither did I want to mess with. After hearing about the speakers going into sleep I decided to look another route into fixing this, searching for Realtek sound pop provided with a better insight into the possible cause. A lot of people began to complain of this issue around the time of the 1709 from 1703 update it seems the way Windows 10 managers power for the speaker or possibly other power saving features may have become more aggressive with this update as a result a lot of Realtek audio card owners have been using the Realtek HD Audio manager to turn of power management. Now for some reason did not include this software and it is not possible to install this either and I’ve tried even by installing the latest 2018 drivers directly from Realtek alas no power option was presented.

This got me thinking now in device manager each device has a details tab and a long drop down list of functions are detailed. Now on this drop down list keep pressing the P key to directly jump after a few presses to the power data you will be presented with a lot of power information now the important part that fixed it for me and surely will do the same for anyone with Realtek audio is to follow what occurs with a gap with no sound being played.

Current power state : D3 is when the speaker has gone to sleep, this when changing to D0 (D Zero) causes a brief pop in the audio playback. Now I’m not sure of the timings for the D3 to be initiated but this is the cause.

Leaving it at D0 does fix this but you may notice a greater power draw nothing drastic however I have noticed a slight increase in CPU temperature but I can’t confirm this is the cause and how the two could even be linked. It is only at most a 2*C increase so nothing to worry about and I’d rather have pop free audio experience.

Now this is where you need to be sure to follow the steps to recreate this fix. This if done incorrectly can break other components to be sure to double check the information changing the wrong device power state could be harmful but the worst that will occur is a fresh Windows 10 installation I however did not have any problems when performing this myself and have gone two days with this fix and now other than the Magic Mic driver for the built in microphone still not being very good my F6 Pro is perfect even for gaming Ryse Son of Rome at 30fps at 78*C. Anyway to the fix!

You will need to locate the correct device in device manager, easiest way to find device manager is the Windows + X key find device manager from the list.

You will see I have audio inputs and outputs open and sound, video and game controllers both share the same device name however the important difference for the fix is the driver key, you will want to take note of this and it is important that it is identical otherwise you will either not see the correct settings or potentially break another devices driver and not know which it is that has stopped functioning correctly.

Next you will need to open regedit the easiest way to open this is to just type in regedit into search and open it from the results.

You will see a list of values (Directories) firstly open HK_Local_Machine from that open the System directory then current control set then control and then class. Now that driver key from earlier, this is what you will want to scroll through to find the driver key maybe identical or something else this is why you should look at your own driver key from device manager in the earlier step.

Once you have found this you will see a lot of numbered directories 0007 and 0008 both have power settings hidden within. Now I’d suggest if not insist in right clicking on each one of these both the 0007 and after the 0008 and choose to export this is to create a backup of the original settings in case you need to restore these later. Exporting will create a regedit backup which can either be restored or values checked at a later time.

I would suggest at first for me in the end both powersettings folders values had to be changed but start with trying only 0007 you will find four values do not edit default as the value isn’t set and must not be changed. Instead you will want to change the lower two values, idlePowerState and performanceIdleTime by clicking on each name and replacing the four sets of values with all FF FF FF FF in each entry point being sure to replace and not add the values while doing so.

Restart Windows and check the values have not restored to previous state. Now re open Device Manager and check the power state it now should always remain on D0 and never change to D3 this only refreshes when you close and re open the device within device manager and does not update in real time.

I know this wont directly apply but might service as a hint of what we could do for Windows changes.
I am not surprised that core parking could be behind this.

But it does look like we need the bios options for this.

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-07-11 17:27:20 | Show all posts
Just for reference, here's the related thread directly at AMD:
https://community.amd.com/t5/dri ... /td-p/611528/page/1

While Beelink should maybe have waited a few more weeks to release the GTR7, AMD's inability to provide stable drivers appears to be the root cause for the issues. With multiple delays to the launch of Ryzen 7480/7490 chips, maybe AMD simply failed to notify partners such as Beelink when stable drivers would be ready? In any case: let's hope they get their act together quickly!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-07-11 23:49:47 | Show all posts
wingrime replied at 2023-07-11 02:38
After disabling c6 sleep, using amd-c6-disable on linux I have no reboots so far. So that issue rela ...

Yes I confirmed it, disabling c6 sleep seems to solve the problem of random reboots

I remembered having to deal with this problem many years ago, I really thought this was already known and solved but seems that DDR5 and its new power saving modes has brought back the problem

In particular this feature: "Dynamic power-down of memory is employed during normal operation. Based on idle conditions, a given memory rank may be powered down"

It is unclear for me why not ALL people are running into this issue, particularly people running Linux

It is a shame the Beelink engineers are unaware of this problem, it should be disabled in BIOS by default or at least be exposed in BIOS so people that are having this problem can disable it

Please Support let your engineers know about this problem and solution, a very simple change in BIOS should fix it.
Reply Support 2 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-07-12 00:25:20 | Show all posts
Edited by GarethRossUK at 2023-07-12 22:00
nnombela replied at 2023-07-11 23:49
Yes I confirmed it, disabling c6 sleep seems to solve the problem of random reboots

I remembered  ...

Do we know if we can do this in Windows without bios options?

I am sure sure if we got the device ID keys from device manager and edited the config file as I outlined it might be possible. I had to add a string of FFs to prevent power saving on a speaker on the laptop I am using.

Regedit it's risky if you choose the wrong device ID to alter which is why it has to appear in device manager in Windows so we can find the ID and then alter without waiting for a bios update.

Dear Beelink please add the C6 bios options in a future urgently needed update,
we all need this to use Windows stable.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-07-13 05:15:28 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
I can also confirm that disabling c6 sleep in Linux on my GTR7 fixes the rebooting problem.
Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-07-13 05:33:55 | Show all posts
dplatten replied at 2023-07-13 05:15
I can also confirm that disabling c6 sleep in Linux on my GTR7 fixes the rebooting problem.

Thank you for confirming now we need this added to the bios for Windows.

I wonder if it might be worth switching to Steam OS and changing this until Beelink adds this to the bios unless...

The AMD driver release fixes this, perhaps.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-07-14 00:23:00 | Show all posts
PAY ATTENTION TO THE POWER ADAPTER

Beelink is not warning that the power adapter is 100-140V or 200-240V, we bought it thinking it is bivolt because nobody is informing the voltage.

Anyone using the 200-240V power adapter on 110V will not have enough power to use the GTR7 and it will cause a protection shutdown. Whoever use 100-140V power adapter on 220V will probably break the power adapter.

You are probably thinking that the problem is the GTR7 but it is actually caused by this magnetic plug power adapter that Beelink invented.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-07-14 00:24:44 | Show all posts
PAY ATTENTION TO THE POWER ADAPTER

Beelink is not warning that the power adapter is 100-140V or 200-240V, we bought it thinking it is bivolt because nobody is informing the voltage.

Anyone using the 200-240V power adapter on 110V will not have enough power to use the GTR7 and it will cause a protection shutdown. Whoever use 100-140V power adapter on 220V will probably break the power adapter.

You are probably thinking that the problem is the GTR7 but it is actually caused by this magnetic plug power adapter that Beelink invented.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-07-14 02:38:51 | Show all posts
I've had two GTR5 and a GTR6, and they all crash.  I had one of the first GTR5 off the production line, had that replaced, then had the second replaced with a GTR6 and all crash (often no reboot), they hang and need the power cord removed to recover.  My SER4 is had display anomalies. Four for Four.  I will be replacing all my Beelinks.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign up

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list