Return to list New
View: 2303|Reply: 11

Died suddenly Beelink SER5 Mini PC W11 Pro, AMD Ryzen 5 5500U

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-05-18 22:49:35 | Show all posts |Read mode
Got the Beelink SER5 Mini PC W11 Pro, AMD Ryzen 5 5500U in February 2023. Worked great, impressed. Today it suddenly died while in use. No response. The power supply shows bright blue until plugged in, then it flickers blue dimly.

Tried different power supply, nothing but light on that power supply goes out when trying it. But this test power supply is only rated at 2 Amps instead of the 3+ of the original.

I tried resetting and removing the memory and the ssd, no difference. Also tried resetting the cmos. I am open to trying a new power supply properly rated, but not sure of the power supply plug size. Is it 2.1 or 2.5 mm?

Or any other suggestions, glad to have them.

Thanks!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Gold Member

Credits
Post time 2023-05-18 23:30:09 | Show all posts
Sounds like a power supply problem, is your area affected by electricity fluctuations, sudden blackouts, etc? Overall, electricity unstable? After you fix the problem, try to use an UPS. Power connector is quite standard, I think is the most used everywhere, powering laptops, etc. You can get a power supply rated at least 19V+3A, the 2A one that you tried didn't give enough juice to start the machine.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2023-05-18 23:33:44 | Show all posts
fxnoob replied at 2023-05-18 23:30
Sounds like a power supply problem, is your area affected by electricity fluctuations, sudden blacko ...

Great advice. In my case the unit is already on a UPS, so it is protected from power spikes and sudden outages.

I do want to try another power supply, just wanted to make sure on the plug size.

Thanks!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2023-05-19 00:47:06 | Show all posts
Just to follow up, I was able to come up with a bigger power supply with the same voltage and plug with sufficient amperage (> 3)

The result is the same, no response.

You win some, you lose some. Should be under warranty, I contacted support. In the meanwhile I have ordered an adapter for the m.2 NVME 2280 SSD to retrieve the data before it needs to be shipped off. Still like it, great little device.

Thanks for reading!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Gold Member

Credits
Post time 2023-05-19 00:50:12 | Show all posts
Sorry man, you shouldn't have any problems RMA'ing it, they are quite fine. It happened to me with a unit from a different company it was DOA, took me 3 weeks to get a replace. Didn't have DOA on Beelink machines, I have 2x.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2023-05-19 01:25:54 | Show all posts
Awesome, good to hear. Thanks for your help, fxnoob!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-05-19 03:35:06 | Show all posts
Generally, 2A power supply should not impeded you from booting even if the OEM power supply is speced at 3A. voltage regulation chip or maybe even the motherboard are likely fried. keep us posted on ease of the RMA process

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-05-19 19:33:44 | Show all posts
Edited by Lyc at 2023-05-19 19:35

DC power connector specifications are: 5.5*2.5

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2023-05-20 23:08:05 | Show all posts
Lyc, Awesome, thanks for the info. This may help someone else as well. I did try another power supply, and it appears to short out the new power supply. I figure the internal power supply has failed.

Update - Support got back with me, we exchanged info. They sent return instructions, and the computer is on its way back for replacement. It will be next week before it arrives at the support location. So far support has been super nice and responsive, especially given the difference in time zones.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2023-06-01 04:34:42 | Show all posts
Update: Just keeping everyone up to date on my experience with a what appears to be a sudden catastrophic failure (dead) of an otherwise excellent little machine.

After getting instructions via email from support, I sent it back at my expense via UPS (it was very economical to ship such a small unit) to the provided location. It arrived at their facility a week ago on May 24th. I had not heard back, so today (5/31, at 4:15 pm EST) I asked for an update via email. But given the difference in the time zones I don't expect to hear back before tomorrow. So far they have been very kind and informative. I'll update when more is known.

Thanks!

Use magic Report

12Next
Return to list New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign up

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list