Please select To the mobile version | Continue to access the desktop computer version
View: 828|Reply: 6

GTR5 m.2 SATA3 not recognised

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-03-23 22:42:08 | Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by ckerin at 2023-03-23 22:42

Hi,

I recently bought the 5900HX GTR5 and installing a brand new Transcend M.2 SATA3 2TB isnt recognised.

I used a Sabrent external m.2 case to plug into a different computer to initialise the drive and format it to exFat. On the other machine I have no issue seeing the drive, and have assigned the drive letter as x: so it doenst conflict with the c: and d: from the master nvme memory.

Any ideas on why it isnt being recognised?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Veteran

Credits
Post time 2023-03-24 03:29:44 | Show all posts
Edited by rmarion59 at 2023-03-24 03:30

Is your new Transcend SATA3 SSD drive connected to the SATA3 or NVMe slot?!?
The drive will only work if connected in the SATA3 slot or in the back of the casing via the L-Shape mSATA cable.
I hope it helps!
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Super Moderator

Credits
Post time 2023-03-24 09:53:42 | Show all posts
Hello,
Your model machine can support two SSD types,Nvme and SATA SSD.
But NVMe slot can only support Nvme SSD,SATA slot can only support SATA SSD.
So if you put your new SATA SSD in a Nvme slot,it can't be recognized.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2023-03-24 13:17:22 | Show all posts
Thanks for the replies, something new and strange with some testing i did over night. I have been working with computers for a long time and know my way around hardware quite well, definitely using NVME and SATA3 in the correct slots.

What I have done so far:
- I bought a 2TB NVME (Sabrent) and used the acronis software to clone the original NVME (Crucial). On the new Sabrient drive I partitioned 1.2TB to c: and the remaining to d: partition.
- when I installed the new Sabrent as the new MBR drive and removed the previous Crucial, I had to run through windows bootup repair in order for the new drive to work, otherwise it kept booting to the options bootup windows menu.
- this worked and I have been able to use the GTR5 without any issues.

Current steps and issues:
- I had formatted and initiated the additional SATA3 card (transcend) as exFat, I tried changing this to NTFS but it still wasnt recognised. The system would only recognise c: (1.2TB) and the d: (800GB) partition, both of which are on the Sabrent drive.
- I put the sabrent into the external m.2 case via usb-c, it was detected straight away and allocated e: (c: and d: were allocated to the sabrent drive), even though I initially formatted the transcend to have x: allocation.
- putting sabrent back into the second m.2 slot in the gtr5, it wasnt recognised. I thought it may be a drive letter assignment conflict so I replaced the MBR sabrent drive with the original crucial drive and the system detected the transcend and allocated it d: (c: being the original MBR crucial drive that shipped wiht the gtr5).
- i changed the assignment of the drive letter to x: and it had no issues accessing the drive.

Now I have a new issue:
- now that i had the transcend allocated to x:, I reinstalled the sabrent as the mbr drive. Now on bootup I get an error message saying:
checking media presence....
media present....
start pxe over ipv4 on mac: (mac address)

this error on boot now happens on both the crucial and sabrent mbr drives.

Any insights or advice?

thanks for the help

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2023-03-24 13:49:03 | Show all posts
Actually, after leaving the machine for a while it is now booting and working properly.

It seems it was a conflict of drive letter assignment as all drives are now working properly.

So:
- sabrent is working and shows c: and d:
- transcend is working with x:

it seems that the drive letter allocation may need to be done on the gtr5 while it is connected through an external usb housing case, previously i had allocated the drive letter on a different pc.

Hope this helps someone else with the same issue.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Super Moderator

Credits
Post time 2023-03-24 17:00:10 | Show all posts
ckerin replied at 2023-03-24 13:49
Actually, after leaving the machine for a while it is now booting and working properly.

It seems it ...

Hello,
Thanks for your sharing.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Veteran

Credits
Post time 2023-03-25 09:53:21 | Show all posts
Hmm... It's like flying from Singapore to Hong Kong by going through Montreal. Next time, open "Disk Management" and make sure the new SSD drive is initialized. Also, I don't see why you could not use the full 2TB (unless it fits your needs).

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign up

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list