View: 1093|Reply: 2

U59 Pro - no POST, no access to BIOS, no monitor signal

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-01-10 11:38:06 | Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by subspacer at 2023-01-13 11:36

Hello. I got this device specifically to use as a router. For a couple of weeks I tested it with pfSense, OPNsense and OpenWrt. I worked great.

Thought Id see how it faired as a media server. CPU temperatures reached 80C in a few seconds of stress testing. Evidence that there was an issue with the heat sinking.

So I reapplied the TIM.

Instead of the almost solid thermal glue like stuff that was in there I used Arctic Silver. I also replaced the Kapton tape that was on the SoC and some of the standoffs with my own non sticky one (stuck down with insulating tape). These are are things I have done 50+ times over the years.

Also replaced the SSD and added another 2.5" one, removed the wifi card.

Now the thing doesnt seem to POST, theres no signal coming to the monitor(s). No way to get into BIOS. Resetting and pulling the battery does nothing. The lights are on, including the strange red LEDs on the stock SSD, but nothings happening.

I have a USB stick with a built in indicator light - it doesnt blink when inserted into the device as it would normally.

Ive tried the usual - reseated everything, including completely wiping down the SoC and using a diffrent paste and normal electrical tape instead of the Kapton. Nothing. Tried different HDMI/HDMI-DVI cables and different monitors.

Tried three SSDs, 2.5" only, everything stock. Still nothing.

Please help.

Update/solved(ish): replaced both sticks of RAM, as both had inexplicably died. My entire house is wired after inverter line conditioners and my work bench is grounded.

Just noticed that the 12V rail is always giving out 14V. Lets see if i get moderated for speaking at the forum again eh?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-01-10 13:07:58 | Show all posts
Check the obvious, When it looks like it has booted to a blank screen try turning your monitor on and off. CLR CMOS. Start removing devices one by one (That you added). Often times building pc's when I have had a similar issue it was simply the RAM not being seated properly. I told someone not to paste unless he was overheating just a few days ago. You can't sneeze on Beelink computers without a critical failure so taking them apart is a bad idea.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2023-01-13 13:01:24 | Show all posts
Cleariati replied at 2023-01-10 13:07
Check the obvious, When it looks like it has booted to a blank screen try turning your monitor on an ...

Just want to note, despite my two! previous replies not being allowed, that it turned out both sticks of RAM were fried.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign up

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list