View: 1787|Reply: 3

[Linux] Installing distros guide

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2022-11-20 01:05:54 | Show all posts |Read mode
Hey everyone,

I hope I am not infringing any rule by posting this question, I did check the forum before.

I see many people have installed Ubuntu, Mint or Manjaro on their GTR5 - I am about to pull the trigger on one from Amazon, and it comes with windows 11.

I have used Linux before but I am definitely not a power user, so I have few questions;

1 - I don't particularly care anout windows (I am a mac user as frontend engineer) - what do you think about erasing the whole partition and install Linux as primary OS?
2 - I cannot find any beelink GTR5 specific guide on how to install, both fully or dual boot with another OS - could you point me in the right direction?

Thank you

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Veteran

Credits
Post time 2022-11-20 05:09:19 | Show all posts
You may get the Ubuntu 20.04 as .ISO file from the Beelink GTR5 5900HX Support page
https://www.bee-link.com/cms/support/driverhardware?product_id=42

If you're not using Windows at all, you can get rid of Windows. If you ever want to get back to Windows, you simply need to download Windows WinPE-based .ISO file from this same page.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2022-11-20 07:09:56 | Show all posts
Oh that's good, thank you so much!

I ended up going with a Deskmini UM350 for now, and it comes with Manjaro pre installed. It seems a good machine for software development and programming, while the GTR5 seemed a bit overkill for what I need to do with it, at least for now.

I welcome feedback on that, being that I am not much of an expert on the topic.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Veteran

Credits
Post time 2022-11-20 10:55:02 | Show all posts
The AMD Ryzen 5 3550H is certainly a good choice. When it comes down to software development, The choice of your DEV machine should somehow be related to the software development environment, IDE, type and size of projects. I believe you did a good choice!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign up

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list