View: 1401|Reply: 4

Sata m.2 in nVme slot, GTR 3550H

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2022-11-15 01:15:47 | Show all posts |Read mode

Has anyone gotten a 1tb SATA m.2 to work in the NVME slot? If so, what bios settings did you use/change?

When I change mine to the NVME slot it's not recognized by Linux or Windows!

background info:
I did the Windows 11 upgrade on this PC using the image provided by beelink. I'm incredibly upset that there was no warning given on this website that this upgrade was going to format the drive and perform a fresh installation.

I have data on my NVME that needs to be recovered, but after the windows upgrade my SSD reports the incorrect size and no recovery software can find the previous partition because of this!

So I'd like to move my SATA m.2 into the NVME slot until I can get the data recovered.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Veteran

Credits
Post time 2022-11-15 07:16:11 | Show all posts
You have one slot M.2 NVMe SSD, one slot M.2 SATA SSD and L-Shape SATA to connect an internal 2.5" SATA III SSD drive.

In short, you cannot interchange slot #1 (M.2 NVMe SSD) and slot #2 (M.2 SSD). M.2 is the form factor (SSD drive on a chip about the size of a chewing gum). NVMe SSD is a SSD protocol which communicates directly with the PCIe controller to provide more speed etc... while SATA SSD is communicating through SATA connector).

The pin-out of M.2 NVMe SSD and M.2 SSD are not the same anyway... it gives the impression it fits.. just an impression!
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Veteran

Credits
Post time 2022-11-15 07:25:57 | Show all posts
I have had the same problem when I first got my machine. I used Backupper Pro (boot from flash drive) to create and image of my internal NVMe to an external USB Disk. I then took a moment to examine the format of NVMe disk. Beelink installer, using WinPE, creates 3 partitions; SYSTEM (~100MB), C: for Windows... and Recovery (~1.97GB but no data on it).

I used same bootable drive to run AOMEI Partition Assistant to destroy all 3 partitions so I could reinstall Windows 11 Pro from Beelink Support page for GTR5 5900HX... many "Windows Update" later... I recovered files/folders from my Backupper Pro image, installed apps and data... and all is good since.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Veteran

Credits
Post time 2022-11-15 07:28:35 | Show all posts
In other words, you are not the first to encounter this exact problem and a solution is possible.

Also, if you try to reinstall Windows on the NVMe and you had important data on the disk, software recovery program can help.

Let me know if you need help.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2022-11-16 10:05:24 | Show all posts
Edited by nighthawk at 2022-11-16 10:17

No, you cannot interchange the M2.2280 NVME and Sata memory sticks like rmarion59 already wrote.  That is impossible.

What I would do is create an USB pen with Hiren's boot USB  on it, start from that USB stick and  use Aomei Partition Assistant to run the  Partition recovery wizard to try to restore the partitions you lost on your NVME drive.

I hope for you that this will work but I doubt it....

succes!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign up

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list