View: 2472|Reply: 2

Running Linux on U59

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2022-08-20 03:40:55 | Show all posts |Read mode
I want to run ubuntu server on this box, what's the best way to accomplish that without removing the Windows installation that came with it in case I want to use it as a windows box later.  I was thinking of replacing the boot disk with a different sata ssd, but was curious what others have done.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Super Moderator

Credits
Post time 2022-08-22 19:49:26 | Show all posts
Hello there,

Do you want dual system ? Please check https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWQMYN12QD0
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2022-08-23 03:31:29 | Show all posts
Unlike Windows, Linux installations are good at accepting other OSs on the same machine and dual-booting. You do end up losing the disk space occupied by Windows of course.

If you don't end up running Windows subsequently you'll be fine. Windows unfortunately is bad at sharing, and sometimes a Windows update can overwrite the GRUB bootloader used by Linux. As long as the machine has a modern UEFI BIOS with a decent boot sequence manager, it's often just as easy to keep the two OSs ignorant of each other and use the BIOS boot menu to either select a boot partition on the fly, or put your preferred OS at the top of the list for auto-boot.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign up

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list