View: 2608|Reply: 2

Ubuntu dual boot

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2022-07-31 05:48:10 | Show all posts |Read mode
I have a SER4 that came pre-installed with Windows 11, and I tried to install Ubuntu in it. I was able to boot from the USB and proceed with the full installation. However, when I boot the machine now Windows boot automatically, never showing the boot menu. Any hints on how to address it?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2022-08-22 10:59:11 | Show all posts
What worked for me is to hit F7 when it boots (I actually increased the timeout from 1 to 5 seconds in the bios to make that easier). If you want to make Ubuntu the default, go into the bios setup to the Boot section, scroll all the way down to the bottom (past the inital items on the screen), and it lets you set the priority order of the boot items under the hard drives.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2022-08-22 20:33:42 | Show all posts
That's rather strange. A Linux installation should normally give you the option to install the Linux bootloader (commonly GRUB) which gives you the options to set up a boot menu, default OS etc.

Windows is however terrible at recognising the existence of non-Windows OSs, and Windows updates have a nasty habit of rewriting the Windows bootloader over the top of anything else.

With modern UEFI BIOSs I find it easier and more reliable to just do as dwhite44 says and use the BIOS boot menu. As long as you can remember the right key to hit it's always there and even Windows can't easily muck it up.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign up

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list