View: 3433|Reply: 5

HDMI display goes blank for 2-3 seconds

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2022-02-17 02:57:13 | Show all posts |Read mode
I have had my GR5 3550H for several months.  I am sitting in front of my monitor for probably 6hrs each day.  For some reason on a random basis maybe once or twice a day my monitor goes completely black for 2-3 seconds and then resumes operation perfectly after the temporary black out.  Since things return to normal after the temporary blackout I am not in panic mode but I am concerned regarding this behavior.  Can anyone else comment on this strange behavior with the HDMI display port.  The computer uses 2 megs of the internal ram for the display.  Could my ram be defective?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2022-02-17 16:11:16 | Show all posts
It could be electrical interference. Connect the computer to ground, or use ferrite in the power cable, use a shielded video cable to prevent interference, or try connecting your computer to another video jack..... There are many possible causes, please let me know. It's time to investigate little by little and discard.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2022-02-19 16:20:11 | Show all posts
Arcan replied at 2022-02-17 16:11
It could be electrical interference. Connect the computer to ground, or use ferrite in the power cab ...

The video cable I am using has a metal outside of the pins which picks up ground from the three prong grounded outlet going to the monitor.  The monitor is grounded to the third pin on a USA 120VAC outlet.  When the HDMI cable is connected to the GR 5 the unit gets ground.  The metal case of the computer gets ground from the HDMI cable and is grounded.  The metal outside connectors like those of the USB 3.0 A Females on the computer are all grounded to the 120VAC ground.  The power supply is only got 2 pins and is not grounded.  I am buying an inline surge protector and will plug the computer power supply into the inline surge protector  and see if that works.  Will advise.  Should the computer case be at ground like I measured?  I assume that this is normal operation.  It makes sense that the computer case should be at ground.  The power supply cable already has some ferrite beads molded in the end of the cord which plugs into the computer so I do not think I need to add more ferrite beads.  Also I really do not know how I would add more ferrite beads.  The power in the building could have glitches as appliances like florescent lights are turned on and off or a refrigerator compressor.  I can make the screen go black for a second by turning on a florescent desk lamp near the computer .  The desk lamp is plugged into another outlet but it is on the same circuit as the computer as well as the refrigerator.  Any ideas on how to stop power glitches.  I will try the inline surge protector  as this was the only idea I could think of.  Any comments will be appreciated.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2022-02-20 05:24:45 | Show all posts
mydavidradloff replied at 2022-02-19 16:20
The video cable I am using has a metal outside of the pins which picks up ground from the three pr ...

Why do you leave the computer on the floor? Can't you leave it on the table next to the monitor?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2022-02-21 21:11:48 | Show all posts
Usually this is an issue with HDMI cable quality, less often connectors being broken (in the monitor I suppose). Just try a different cable.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2022-02-25 03:36:35 | Show all posts
I solved the problem.  The bee-link power supply was on the same circuit as desk lamp florescent bulbs, appliances, refrigerator, dishwasher, and washer/dryer.  I purchased a Belkin In-Line surge suppressor from Amazon.  It has MOV's between hot and neutral, neutral and ground, and hot and ground.  When the computer power supply is plugged into the In-Line surge protector the problem goes away.  Evidently, plugging the Bee-Link power supply directly into a wall socket did not provide enough voltage spike protection.  These voltage spikes were causing the computer to temporarily glitch.  My advice is that customers should use a surge protector for their computer.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign up

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list