Please select To the mobile version | Continue to access the desktop computer version
View: 3565|Reply: 1

U59 Ubuntu-Batocera-Lakka can't boot from USB

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2022-01-21 04:46:22 | Show all posts |Read mode
Hello everyone, i've just received my product yesterday and i immediately went ahead and test Batocera. Batocera is a Linux OS containing all sort of emulators, which acts as a "console frontend". I had already set it up into an USB drive, and immediately entered the BIOS on my U59 to boot the pendrive. What happens is that it only shows the OS logo, then a black screen and it freezes there forever. So, while trying to understand what the issue was, i tested other OS too, Tried lakka, which again, is a Linux OS based on RetroArch, and i faced the exact same problem. Logo shows up and it all freezes there.

I then tried Ubuntu, i was able to boot into the installation menu, made my way half way through all the installation options and then it started loading and got stuck there forever. So this didn't work neither
Oh, and just to point it out, all of these things worked on my laptops, my beelink is the only one having isssues with it
I made sure everything is set up correcly in the BIOS, secure mode disabled, legacy boot enabled and other stuff, but it looks like nothing is working. I bought this PC exclusively for this reason, try to make it a retro console, but i don't know what to do anymore, i kinda don't need it the way it is...
Can someone please enlighten me? Any help is appriciated

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2022-01-24 01:44:28 | Show all posts
**UPDATE**
I'll leave this here, in case anyone will face the same problem on the same product or on similar Beelink PCs. I'm gonna state that this journey has been taken just to make Batocera work, that was my initial plan, i dont have any solution for the other OS.
So what we discovered, with the help of the kindest person i've ever met on discord (on the official Batocera discord server), is that first of all, it seems like Beelink motherboard/BIOS doesn't allow for certain OS to be booted from an USB drive. The simplest fix we found to this has been to install batocera on the internal SSD.
Here for the hard part, the current builds of batocera that you can find on the official website won't work. What Wizzo (the guy who helped me) had to do was building the image himself, but in the process he made sure to replace the Linux Kernel with the most updated version. This allowed me to finally boot batocera from the internal SSD. As all the OS i've tried above didn't work, and as they're based on Linux too, it's possible to assume those might have the exact same problem inside the image.
Also, it's possible that with future releases of those OSs, the linux kernel will automatically be replaced and this problem won't exist anymore.
I hope someone will find this useful!
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign up

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list