Return to list New
Author: TonyK

fan speed on gk mini

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2022-09-28 01:43:21 | Show all posts
I just tried that. I took me like 2 hours to cut the wires and solder them. And after seeing that the controller does not power up I noticed that the fan in the GK Mini is 5V one which is not enough to power up the 12V VHM-802 fan controller...

Ovbiously the fan in the U57 is 12V one and the controller works on it, but that is not the case for the GK mini.

Before deciding to do the modification I spend like half an year writing to the Beelink support and waiting for a new BIOS which they later provided me and it did not change anything realted to the fan speed.

This computer works fine but if you plan to use it in the same room you are are in.. just avoid it. It is too loud because of the fan running on max RPM all the time. It is rediculous that the BIOS do not support variable RPMs.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-03-30 01:49:14 | Show all posts
Edited by Zquirell at 2023-03-30 01:57

The computer Mini PC GK is good for everyone, but the fan noise spoils everything. It was decided to convert to passive cooling. Control via "Open Hardware Monitor".
My way:
1. Turn off the fan. Fast heating of the processor, especially when installing updates - up to 82 degrees.
2. Installing the largest possible heatsink in the Mini PC case. Used from a video card without a fan. Significant heating was also observed, the outside of the plastic case became hot after 5-7 minutes.
3. It was decided to install a heatsink with heat pipes; purchased Air Frost 2, fan not used. For installation, you need to cut a hole in the housing. A plate is required between the processor and the heatsink (I used Al). All actions require great care. Result: a completely silent computer was obtained, the temperature of the processor under normal load was 42 degrees.
The computer is mounted on a monitor frame (I have a Dell U2211). I think this solution is better than a monoblock, convenient access to the USB and the power button.
photo_2023-03-29_12-36-02 (2).jpg
photo_2023-03-29_12-36-02.jpg

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-03-31 00:11:56 | Show all posts
Edited by beelink_sucks at 2023-03-31 01:01

I finally decided to get myself together and take the gk mini of the box it has being staying in since I got it and mod it. This time I used ZF4-1L 5V controller. I expected it to work because the fan is a 5V as I mentioned but the computer does not run 5V to it but less then 4V which is not enough for the controller to start. Since both the controller and the fan should use less than 250ma I decided to solder it to power line of the nerarest USB port. I put the termal probe under the heat sink and covered it with non-electricity conductive thick thermal paste.

The CPU reports ~20C over the temperature the probe gets which is prety close to the temperature of the heat sink measured with a laser thermometer. I configured the fan controller to run at minimum speed up until 40C and max at 60C (which should translate to ~60C/80C actual CPU temperature). With this configuration when the CPU idles it reports 45-50C, the fan runs at very low RPMs and is not audible at all. While running a stress test it gets to max 75C. I would guess it gets to a higher max RPMs now since it gets 5V, not <4V as it did without the mod.

IMG20230330192355_.jpg

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-07-29 03:56:10 | Show all posts
It's been two years since the topic was started.

Has there been any development on this issue?

My GK Mini also runs the fan full speed all the time, which is insane.
I had to disconnect the fan and deal with the throttling after 100ºC under stress.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-08-01 11:01:00 | Show all posts
Hello, guys!

I am facing the same issue... it is quite surprising the amount of noise this smal pc produces.

Use magic Report

Return to list New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign up

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list