6B9X broken after local OTA update [SOLVED]

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2021-05-29 19:56:57 | Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by TheBlackAdder at 2021-05-29 20:37

Hi,

So... I recently opened another thread about some problems I was having pairing a bluetooth remote. Then it occurred to me that, since the last firmware version for my box (916P0) had changes precisely in the bluetooth part in order to add support for a bluetooth remote, it migh fix my problem (I still have 915).

I wanted to keep my apps and settings in the box, I have a lot of stuff, so I tried a local system update (the usual way: download the .zip, extract the three files to an SD card and then use the local update app), since it is essentially a local OTA. The update screens went through normally, but upon rebooting now I find myself with a "reminder" window constantly coming up that I cannot get rid of: It is the initial window that reminds me that if I have a bluetooth remote I have to pair it, and if I have an RF one there is no need and I can press the "back" key to get rid of the window.

I do go back to the home screen, but it is empty (no launcher, no app drawer, nothing) other than the background image, and any click on any part of the window brings up (again) the reminder remote window. From time to time, after trying to close it and clicking "back" or "home", I get an error message (SettingsMbox keeps stopping) the lets me try to adjust the settings of what seems to be the crashing-restarting app, but nothing I do (clear data, clear cache, disable notifications...) works. It seems that it is this app that brings up the reminder window what is constantly dying/restarting and creates the problem. What is strange is that the launcher (I have Nova installed, as well as the native Lighthome) does not even seem to be able to load

I have been able to enter the android "settings" menu (which requires a very oblique way of doing it. In the empty background screen, I can click the top bar, slide down an enter the settings there by clicking the gear without the reminder window appearing), but I don't seem to be able to disable mboxsettings (apparently a system app), or to access any of my apps in the app drawer. I have tried other things like changing launchers from there, but nothing I do seems to have an effect, it looks as if the launcher isn't even loading.

At this point I have no idea what to do. As I said I would like to avoid a factory reset, lots of apps installed and configured in the box and it would mean days of work getting everything back. It is the last resort.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.      

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2021-05-29 20:33:27 | Show all posts
I am going to answer to myself... I found the solution, and it is as simple as going into the settings screen (sliding down the status bar as I described above), go into "System", then "About device", and in there select "Startup Wizard". This launches the startup Configuration Wizard next time I go back to the home screen, and going through those configuration screens fixes everything and prevents the "remote reminder" window to pop up ad infinitum. For whatever the reason, after my local OTA update the system did not activate the wizard and that, it seems, was the source of the problem.

Incidentally... this new firmware solves my bluetooth problem of the other thread. The bluetooth remote (in my case a G7BTS, not the Beelink one) now pairs and works flawlessly!

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign up

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list