View: 4428|Reply: 6

Updating GT1 mini from 002P0 to 007P0 firmware: What's the exact update process?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2021-02-24 02:19:50 | Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by Mounter at 2021-02-24 03:08

So as the thread title says, we would try the update of the GT1 mini's firmware from 002P0 to 007P0, but reading through the forums differrent theads I've found different methods described and it leaved me rather confused and unsure regarding the real proper method.
First question: is OTA (online, not SD card) update any good for this purpose in this case? Or do I need to use the USB Burning Tool method anyways?

Secondly, regarding the "Burning Tool" method:  Some (and also the "offifcal Beelinmk tutorial" says theres no need to push down the reset button on the Box while connecting with the USB cable to the PC and despite, and oppositally, some post says it does need to be pressed indeed, otherwise it will end upp with a fail.

Can someone (Beelink support?) give some exact and proper clearance regarding these questinos?  (We don't want to brick the Box using an unproper FW update method, it wasn't that cheap...)

Thanks!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2021-02-26 21:45:16 | Show all posts
Edited by Phant0m`` at 2021-03-01 12:45

When you upgrading to a major Android version, example; v8.y.z to v9.y.z, you must use the Amlogic USB Burning Tool method. This of course will cause all customizations to be lost, including data files like photos, videos, music, documents and also apps and games that was installed.

When one can use the Beelink SD Card packages, which will leave most customizations and data untouched. However you must NOT be trying to jump major Android versions. --- Included additional details on the follow-up post.

Amlogic USB Burning Tool & USB Flash firmwares
http://www.bee-link.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=44764

How to unbrick / revive any Amlogic devices.
http://www.bee-link.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=44927
Beelink GT1 Mini (95X2) w/CoreELEC & Android 9 (Pie)
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2021-02-27 03:46:25 | Show all posts
Edited by Mounter at 2021-02-27 17:34
Phant0m`` replied at 2021-02-26 21:45
When you upgrading to a major Android version, example; v8.y.z to v9.y.z, you must use the Amlogic ...

Guess you're on the 007P0 version now...? From witch FW version did you update "directly" to the 007P0 and with what method? I ask, because, jumping from "2" straight to "7" simply rather still seems to me a kind of a "mayor" update...

*** Besides: I have read from here that the USB bug has been fixed in the latest 9.2.6 CE release. Also very important, and would like to know if you have experienced any kind of "other" bugs or trouble (mostly of course with video playback) so far with this combination on the Gt1 mini Box? So by opinion, is it really worth to upgrade both the stock Android FW and the CoreElec to their latest version yet?
And thanks for the response!

EDIT: Another question would be, that do I need to use the 2.1.7.1. or the older 2.1.6.8 version of the USB burning tool for this 007P0 FW update?
Beelink linked only the 2.1.6.8 version in the 007P0 FW Thread, but theres a post that it need rather needs the newer 2.1.7.1 version. So I'm very confused with this.
In your FW update thread, your link to the Burning Tool isn't working, I sing in with my MS account, but it ends up telling be that something is missing from there...?

And juts one more thing: Your description says that the reset button needs to be pushed in when connectiong the Box (and maybe till the whole update process finsihes?). But the "official" Beelink PDF description doesn't mention this, nor can be seen in that tutorial video that is attached beside on their links to the Burning Tool.
So this also still very unsure and confusiing. (What I least want to mess the Box up with doing this the unproper way).

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2021-03-01 15:31:41 | Show all posts
Edited by Phant0m`` at 2021-03-01 04:15

Yes I had manually applied 007P0, I don't remember if I've ever skipped Beelink firmware SD Card patch releases. I think it would error out without making any changes because it's incremental updating with checks in place. You might have noticed that OTA giving you update, after applying there was yet another OTA update to be downloaded and installed. Anyways better to use the PC Tool if you are multiple versions behind.

For future references...;
Beelink firmware versions from 002P0 right to 007P0 is with Android v9.x.

Semantic Versioning X.Y.Z which generally corresponds to MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH (e.g. v9.0.1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning

-
Official CoreELEC 9.2.6 (February 21st, 2021) release contains the fix, CoreELEC is working superbly under GT1 Mini. If you doing dual boot, upgrading Android would be recommended.

-
The GT1 Mini initial firmware release, there was Official Beelink tutorial that stated it required v2.1.6.8 of that tool with the official link to that package. It's okay to use newer versions, just can't use before that version.

-
Revised my Amlogic USB Burning Tool & USB Flash firmwares topic, to be-able to download that tool and more clarity on the reset procedure.  

Beelink Official Document.png

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2021-03-09 16:59:36 | Show all posts
Back from a while, as I still didn't updated to 007P0 just yet, but getting closer to do it actually, but my confusion regrading the "reset button pressing" necessity is still actual: Your updated post still states that, but as I have mentioned above there's not even a reference to it neither in the official PDF, nor in the tutorial video (the Box in the video must be a GT1 Mini too, as the loaded FW's name suggests on the monitor screen can be seen for a few seconds).

Can you (or anyone else around) clarify this question at definitive certainty?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2021-03-10 11:47:45 | Show all posts
Edited by Phant0m`` at 2021-03-10 00:57
Mounter replied at 2021-03-09 04:59
Back from a while, as I still didn't updated to 007P0 just yet, but getting closer to do it actually ...

Let's just say I wouldn't recommend it if it'll cause ill-effects....

If you don't use this method, the tool still may detect the device but may error out before completion. I've personally observed this on several occasions with different products, beelink and alike. I rather give method that always works than something that may.

The whole reason for this is to connect your Android TV box to your PC when it's in recovery mode in order to upgrade your firmware. This always been the case with previous Beelink products and other brands..., I know it's confusing when manufacturers leaves out important and critical steps.

Good Luck.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-10-05 09:58:10 | Show all posts
Many software applications and operating systems offer the option to enable automatic updates. When enabled, the system or software will check for updates regularly and install them automatically.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign up

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list