GT King Pro - Debian10 Buster & Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Focal Fossa Firmware

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2020-08-28 17:34:38 | Show all posts
spikerguy replied at 2020-08-28 05:08
Hello jfl,

Installing printer in linux is fairly simple depending on which distro you're running.

Hi Spikerguy & Darkstar,

I must done some not very smart move when I first successfully installed and boot up, Debian Buster in GT King Pro.  Did the "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -y" as per your suggestion but I also surf the web to on what to do after you first install "Debian Buster" and did some of the suggestions suggested obviously not understanding the implications which might have upgraded  the Debian Buster 10.5,

I just finished re-flash Debian Buster on SDHC Card (Ubuntu 20.04 flashed in USB 3.0 Stick have been using much yet). After flashing (Debian) completed and successful I boot up Debian Buster (Root) and performed the followings:

1)        apt-get update && apt-get upgrade – y
        update and uprade successful as far as I can tell.
2)        Insert HP Laserjet 1020 to one of the GT King Pro USB Port (USB OTG port) and Turn On Printer.
3)        Proceed to setup printer.  Select “Print Settings”.   Pop up Window “Print Settings – localhost”. “No printers configured yet”
4)        Select “Add” and Select Device Window pop up. HP Laserjet 1020 (JL1VXPH) was identified by the system.
5)        Select HP Laserjet 1020 (Connection: USB). Click Forward.
6)        Choose Driver: Select printer from database. Select: HP (recommended) and Click Forward.
7)        Choose Driver: Model: Laserjet (Recommended) Select. Drivers: HP Laserjet Series PCL 4/5 [en] (recommended) Select.
        Another driver option is HP Laserjet Series PCL 6 CUPS [en]
8)        Installable Options. Duplexer (I “Tick”). I take it as printing both side option. Not sure I am correct on this.
9)        Describe Printer (I left as per suggested by the Print Setting suggestions”. Select “Apply”
10)        Pop up window “would you like to print a test page?”.  I Select “Print Test Page”. Pop up window “Submitted” “Test page submitted as job 1”.  But No printer output.
11)        Select Printing Troubleshooter.  Choose Printer: HP Laserjet 1020
12)        Enable Debugging. Select Forward
13)        Retrieve Journal Entries.  “No system journal entries wer found. This may be because you are not an administrator. To fetch journal entries please run this command:”
        su -c 'journalctl -u cups.service --since="None" --until="2020-08-28 16:11:46"' > troubleshoot-logs.txt
I am not sure what the above "su -c "journalctl -u....." means.
For your information, whenever I do a "Print Test Page", The Print actually through to the system and said the job is completed. I have submitted 11 Print Jobs, All said Job completed. But NO Printer Output.

Any Suggestions and guidance.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2020-08-28 17:59:54 | Show all posts
darkstar replied at 2020-08-28 15:44
Dear @JFL

I did some research for you.

Hi Darkstar,

Thanks. I must have without knowing what I am doing updated and upgraded Debian Buster to the unstable Debian 10.5 version.  As per my response earlier I have re-flash a new Debian Buster image from your Debian link. Perform the Print Settings.  As mentioned earlier, Debian actually recognized the HP Laserjet (JL1VXPH) Connection: USB. But No Output from Printer.

Just a silly question, is your GT King Pro hooked up to a USB Printer and you are able to print without any issue?  May be you can walk me through how you set up your printer. Eventhough it is a different Printer if you don't mind.

Because when I contacted Bee-link Support to inform them that I cannot print to my printer via USB port (in Android, the system and WPS Office actually does not recognized the HP Laserjet was connected to the USB Port).  I was informed by Bee-link support, GT King Pro being a Android TV Box does NOT support Printing. I hope this is not the case, that why I am looking at Debian or Ubuntu OS to resolve this issue.
Performed your suggestions: "apt update" and "apt install hplip".  I think hplip was installed successfully (with one warning "update-inetd: warning: cannot add service, /etc/inetd.conf does not exist).  The last few lines of "Terminal Output" are as follows:
Setting up printer-driver-hpcups (3.18.12+dfsg0-2) ...
Setting up sane-utils (1.0.27-3.2) ...
update-inetd: warning: cannot add service, /etc/inetd.conf does not exist
Adding saned group and user...
Adding user saned to group scanner
Setting up hplip (3.18.12+dfsg0-2) ...
Creating/updating hplip user account...
Processing triggers for cups (2.2.10-6+deb10u3) ...
Updating PPD files for cups-filters ...
PPD for printer Hewlett-Packard-HP-LaserJet-1020-2 updated
Updating PPD files for hpcups ...
Updating PPD files for postscript-hp ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.28-10) ...
Processing triggers for systemd (241-7~deb10u4) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.8.5-2) ...
Processing triggers for dbus (1.12.20-0+deb10u1) ...
Processing triggers for udev (241-7~deb10u4) ...
Processing triggers for fontconfig (2.13.1-2) ...

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2020-08-28 21:37:18 | Show all posts
Hi Spikerguy and Darkstar,

Here are some of the screen captures I have done. Print Settings after configuring the HP LaserJet 1020. When I paste the screen captures (just one screen it is over text limit allowed.
Attached herewith some of screen captures in PDF file.  

Best Regards.

HPLaserjet1020_Troubleshoot_Result.pdf

147.42 KB, Downloads: 312

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2020-08-28 22:18:35 | Show all posts
Hi Darkstar and Spikerguy,

I must done some not very smart move when I first successfully installed and boot up, Debian Buster in GT King Pro.  Did the "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade -y" as per your suggestion but I also surf the web {“What to do after you first install "Debian Buster"} and did some of the suggestions suggested and obviously not understanding the implications. This might have led to the upgrade of Debian Buster 10.5 (unstable).

I just finished re-flash Debian Buster on SDHC Card (Ubuntu 20.04 flashed in USB 3.0 Stick and used it for only a few hours few days ago). After flashing (Debian) completed and successful, I boot up Debian Buster (as Root) and performed the followings:

1)        apt-get update && apt-get upgrade – y
        update and uprade successful as far as I can tell.
2)        Insert HP Laserjet 1020 to one of the GT King Pro USB Port (USB OTG port) and Turn On Printer.
3)        Proceed to setup printer.  Select “Print Settings”.   Pop up Window “Print Settings – localhost”. “No printers configured yet”
4)        Select “Add” and Select Device Window pop up. HP Laserjet 1020 (JL1VXPH) was identified by the system.
5)        Select HP Laserjet 1020 (Connection: USB). Click Forward.
6)        Choose Driver: Select printer from database. Select: HP (recommended) and Click Forward.
7)        Choose Driver: Model: Laserjet (Recommended) Select. Drivers: HP Laserjet Series PCL 4/5 [en] (recommended) Selected.
        Another driver option is HP Laserjet Series PCL 6 CUPS [en] Not Selected.
8)        Installable Options. Duplexer (I “Tick”). I take it as printing both side option. Not sure I am correct on this.
9)        Describe Printer (I left as per suggested by the Print Setting suggestions”. Select “Apply”
10)        Pop up window “would you like to print a test page?”.  I Select “Print Test Page”. Pop up window “Submitted” “Test page submitted as job 1”.  But No printer output. Retried a few times and there up to 5 Jobs shown in the Queue and all completed. But No Printer Output.
11)        Select Printing Troubleshooter.  Choose Printer: HP Laserjet 1020
12)        Enable Debugging. Select Forward
13)        Retrieve Journal Entries.  “No system journal entries wer found. This may be because you are not an administrator. To fetch journal entries please run this command:”
        su -c 'journalctl -u cups.service --since="None" --until="2020-08-28 16:11:46"' > troubleshoot-logs.txt

I also performed the Sudo apt update and sudo apt install hplip.  As far as I can tell Installation Successful.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2020-08-29 03:14:11 | Show all posts
JFL replied at 2020-08-28 21:37

Here are some of the screen captures I have done. Print Settings after c ...

You can print now right, if so congratulations.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2020-08-29 14:35:43 | Show all posts
darkstar replied at 2020-08-29 03:14
You can print now right, if so congratulations.

Hi Darkstar,

No. Still cannot print!  I have configured in Print Settings to recognize the HP Laserjet 1020 can select it but when I print, Not Output eventhough the Print Queue said it has completed! I am dumb founded.  Somehow there is not USB output to the printer.

The response from Bee-Link Support, GT King Pro as Android TV Box does not support printing, keeps bugging me. I initially take it as just in Android OS not necessarily apply to Linux.  I hope the GT King Pro firmware is not blocking printing function.

The above experience lead to this silly question, is your GT King Pro connected directly to a USB Printer or to a network printer? Or have you tried to print documents or pictures on GT King Pro via USB Printer?  

I am lost. Might try to install CUPS to see whether it give me the desired result.

Best Regards.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2020-08-29 15:51:45 | Show all posts

I performed the "sudo apt-get install cups"

sudo apt-get install cups
[sudo] password for beelink:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree      
Reading state information... Done
cups is already the newest version (2.2.10-6+deb10u3).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Does it means "cups" was already in the Debian Buster system as the above command return
"0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded."

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2020-08-29 16:13:15 | Show all posts
JFL replied at 2020-08-29 15:51

I performed the "sudo apt-get install cups"

I'm sorry JFL Debian doesn't block printing.
I think it is about configuration of the printer, you can try to search for solution on internet.

I don't have a printer but in general network printers work better for all operating systems. No need to install and configure special driver. Just  attaching network printer to your system is enough.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2020-08-29 16:16:17 | Show all posts
Hi Darkstar & Spikerguy,

I found this from Debian Packages where it did mentioned HP Laserjet 1020 is being mistakenly identified as "winprinter".
Package: printer-driver-foo2zjs (20200505dfsg0-1)
printer driver for ZjStream-based printers
foo2zjs is an open source printer driver for printers that use the Zenographics ZjStream wire protocol for their print data, such as the Minolta magicolor 2200/2300/2430 DL, Minolta Color PageWorks/Pro L and HP LaserJet 1000/1005/1018/1020/1022. These printers are often erroneously referred to as "winprinters" or "GDI printers".
This package provides the following drivers: foo2hblp2, foo2hiperc, foo2hp, foo2lava, foo2oak, foo2qpdl, foo2slx, foo2xqx, foo2zjs.
The psutils package is needed to enable n-up printing support

What command/s need to be done to download and install "printer-driver-foo2zjs (20200505dfsg0-1)"?

Thanks. Best Regards

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2020-08-29 16:38:50 | Show all posts
JFL replied at 2020-08-29 16:16
Hi Darkstar & Spikerguy,

I found this from Debian Packages where it did mentioned HP Laserjet 1020  ...

apt install printer-driver-foo2zjs

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign up

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list