GT King Pro - Debian10 Buster & Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Focal Fossa Firmware

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2020-08-26 00:51:22 | Show all posts
darkstar replied at 2020-08-25 22:34
Congratulations,

If you want to install software you must update the software first.

Thanks.  Performed
2. Sudo apt update
3. Sudo apt upgrade
No new update or upgrade as I had performed apt-get update && apt-get upgrade earlier during after first boot up.
4.  sudo apt install chromium-browser
Msg: "Package chromium-browser is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another source"
E: Package 'chromium-browser' has no installation candidate.

Funny thing is I can see the "Chromium Web Browser" Icon on the Application-Internet-Chromium" and also Application Finder but cannot launch the app.  Or when I click on the "Earth Icon" Msg "Failed to execute default Web Browser".Input/output error.

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2020-08-26 14:35:47 | Show all posts
JFL replied at 2020-08-26 00:51
Thanks.  Performed
2. Sudo apt update
3. Sudo apt upgrade

Dear JFL,

Ignore the message about repo, you will get updates from ubuntu arm repository.

Yesterday I tried and installed chromium-browser with "sudo apt install chromium-browser" command.
I don't know why it is not available for you, by the way I prefer Firefox with ublock addon.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2020-08-26 17:46:51 | Show all posts
darkstar replied at 2020-08-26 14:35
Dear JFL,

Ignore the message about repo, you will get updates from ubuntu arm repository.

Hi Darkstar,

Finally figure out by accident that I can load up Chromium in Debian Buster by accident.  On boot up, instead of logon as Root, I logon as Beelink and give it a try to load up Chromium from the Application Tap and it works.  Responding to you from Debian Buster Chromium.

But in logon as Beelink, I cannot do any update or upgrade command. I suppose logon as Beelink means I am just a guest like in Windows 10 where guest do have the privilege to update or upgrade.

Funny think Logon as Root, I cannot load up Chromium but can load up other Apps. Don't understand why.

Agree with you on FireFox having better privacy like ads block, etc.  When I run
GT King Pro in Androd I usually use Opera with the VPN "On" and use Proton VPN (free version) for Video Streaming.  In Windows 10, MS Edge, Chrome, FireFox and recently Opera mainly for VPN option and have a good "Reader Mode" easier on the eye.

In Linux Debian and Ubuntu is there any free unlimited bandwidth VPN available that respect users privacy by not collecting info?

Still learning my way around Debian Buster with XFCE.  Loading up apps is much faster in a Debian Buster on GT King Pro than on my 3 yrs old Celeron Laptop running Windows 10 eventhough the current Debain Buster is not hardware optimized on the Amlogic S922X-H. Looking forward to versions of Linux that is hardware optimized for Amlogic S922X-H like in Android OS. Have you tried Ambian on the your GT King Pro?

Do you think it is worthwhile for me to try out KDE? Is KDE less snappy than XFCE?

Than you for your kind assistance.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2020-08-26 20:09:15 | Show all posts
Edited by darkstar at 2020-08-26 20:13
JFL replied at 2020-08-26 17:46
Hi Darkstar,

Finally figure out by accident that I can load up Chromium in Debian Buster by accid ...

Armbian uses Mainline Kernel 5.X and as I wrote on my 1st post in Mainline Kernel Amlogic S922X support is not stable enough yet and hardware acceleration is in development stage thats why I used 4.9 Kernel in my builds. I tried Armbian & Manjaro & Librelec etc and all crash after 5-10 minute usage.

I compiled Armbian with 4.9 image too but there is not improvement regarding to my existing builds no need to share.

By the way existing Linux Kernel 4.9 has hardware acceleration but only for framebuffer interface. Android and Corelec both use framebuffer interface but Xfree Server doesn't support hardware acceleration yet.

If you want to update your software under regular user you must use sudo apt update command.
Chromium , Vlc , Firefox, Opera doesn't support running as root.

KDE is the best Desktop Environment for Linux, if you did not tried yet I advice you to try.

There are many vpn addons for firefox you can try and choose one of them.

Regards,

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2020-08-27 16:20:45 | Show all posts
darkstar replied at 2020-08-26 20:09
Armbian uses Mainline Kernel 5.X and as I wrote on my 1st post in Mainline Kernel Amlogic S922X sup ...

Dear Darkstar,

Thanks for the information on the Mainline Kernel 5.X being not stable enough for Amlogic S922X, must have missed it earlier and the information on Xfree Server doesn’t support hardware acceleration yet.

Good to know, Android with only framebuffer hardware acceleration the video performance is good enough for 4K60fps. Have not tried to use CoreElec to play or stream any video yet.  But have tried Kodi on Android and compared to the Android Streaming Apps, Kodi in Android seems to need a lot more effort to  setup Addons and searching and locating the videos also take more effort the Android TV Apps.  I could be wrong as I have not spent much time with Kodi on Android.  Based on this experience on Android TV Apps and Kodi on Android, I have differed trying CoreElec (my understanding is that the main App in CoreElec is basically Kodi).  Appreciate some insight on your experience with Kodi on Android, Android TV Apps and CoreElec.

In Debian or Ubuntu, can software updates be done when I logon as User or do I have to logon: Root? In Ubuntu there is an Software Update App is there a similar app in Debian?

Thanks for the input on KDE. Does KDE in GT King Pro feel just as snappy as Xfce?  

Noted on VPN for FireFox.

Best Regards.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2020-08-27 17:49:53 | Show all posts
darkstar replied at 2020-06-12 23:38
Dear @F8R,

I'm sorry for the inconvenient log messages about Camera Service.

Hi Darstar,

Logon: Root
I did the suggested command to remove Camera Service but was not able to remove Camera Service

root@Beelink:~# rm /etc/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants/camera_isp_3a_server.service
rm: cannot remove '/etc/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants/camera_isp_3a_server.service': No such file or directory
root@Beelink:~# ^C
root@Beelink:~#

Best Rgds.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2020-08-28 01:33:43 | Show all posts
Dear Darkstar or Debian Buster Users,

Need tips or command how to setup Debian Buster or in Ubuntu how to print documents via USB connection on GT King Pro.  I have a HP Laserjet 1020 printer.  I thought it is a walk in the park like in Windows System but it sure isn’t.

I am having trouble printing document on Debian Buster be it on Hotmail or LibreOffice Writer to HP Laserjet 1020 via USB connection.  It must be that I don't know how to set up the system to recognize the printer. I have installed the HP Laserjet 1020 Driver (I think) as it can be seen on "Printer Setup".  When I select Printer Setup in LibreOffice Writer "HP Laserjet 1020 is stated as the Default Printer.  When I print, nothing happen.

In the Printer Properties setting, the Printer Language Type: Automatic: PDF
I change it to Postscript also Not printing.

I did tried to install HPLIP but reported error message Debian 10.5 version is not supported.

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 3.20.6)
HPLIP Installer ver. 5.1

“Copyright (c) 2001-18 HP Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

Installer log saved in: hplip-install_Fri-28-Aug-2020_00:53:41.log
\
note: Defaults for each question are maked with a '*'. Press <enter> to accept the default.
error: debian-10.5 version is not supported, so all dependencies may not be installed. However trying to install using debian-10.3 version packages.”

I am new to Linux, obviously do not know how to setup a simple task load the printer drivers into Debian Buster (ver 10.5) or Ubuntu 20.04 to a local Printer attached to one of GT King Pro USB Port (3.0 or OTG).  Need help and guidance.

Appreciate inputs and guidances on how to setup the system to recognize HP Laserjet 1020 USB Printer to print documents.  Thank you.

Best Regards.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2020-08-28 03:39:24 | Show all posts
JFL replied at 2020-08-28 01:33

Need tips or command how to setup Debian Buster or in Ubuntu  ...

I'm sorry I don't have that printer I cannot help you.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2020-08-28 05:08:58 | Show all posts
Edited by spikerguy at 2020-08-28 05:12

Hello jfl,

Installing printer in linux is fairly simple depending on which distro you're running.

From the logs it looks like your on the unstable release of debian which is not publically released or hp have not updated its package for hp-lip.

Maybe you will have to compile it manually using the following link.

https://developers.hp.com/hp-lin ... nual/distros/debian
just replace the version to the latest version released by hp.

If you are able to install it manually as explained in the step by step tutorial then you will have HP printer manager icon where you can easily add or remove printer drivers and in most cases it will install the driver as soon as you plug in the device to the usb.
I think this is the updated link for newer vesion but it is for Ubuntu 20.04
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index. ... -fedora-32-support/

Feel free to ask me if you get stuck anywhere. In Manjaro most of the packages are easy to install from the official repo as we maintain all the known packages ourselves.

Good luck.
Beelink GTR7 (7840HS) - Manjaro Linux
Beelink SER5 (5600U) - Manjaro Linux
Beelink GT1 Ultimate (S912) - Libre Elec TV
Beelink GT King Pro (S922X-H) - Manjaro ARM Linux
Beelink GS King X (S922X-H)  -

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2020-08-28 15:44:31 | Show all posts
JFL replied at 2020-08-28 01:33

Need tips or command how to setup Debian Buster or in Ubuntu  ...

Dear @JFL

I did some research for you.

there are 2 solutions 1st solution download and install hplip with commands below and 2nd solution is to build hplip from source but still you will need to install deperdency packages.

just run commands below as root or as normal user with sudo.

apt update
apt install hplip

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign up

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list