Author: darkstar

GT King Pro - Debian10 Buster & Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Focal Fossa Firmware

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2020-09-26 08:24:39 From the mobile phone | Show all posts
There is no support for S922X-H on Mainline, I need help with dtb @darkstar did you compile your own dtb or are you using one from coreelc?  Mainline dtb is causing  kernel panic and I am not able to find the reason,  i tried to make changes to the cpu voltage but still it is unstable when i put it under load, Ive informed the kernel dwv team but they seem to be busy.  Armbian also doesn't have support for S922X-H ill check with beelink if they sent the test device to armbian team.  
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2020-09-26 12:57:56 | Show all posts
darkstar replied at 2020-09-26 05:06
Mainline kernel is not stable enough yet, for now I will not release a firmware with mainline kerne ...

Thanks for the info Main Line Kernel still not stable enough and onArmbian.  

Before I tried yourDebian Buster and Ubuntu 20.04 LTS build, I did read about Armbianbuild but it seems a bit complicated to get it to work on S922Xdevices and many of the responses from Balbes is that S922X is notreally supported and furthermore I read some users that did get GTKing or GT King Pro to work but commented that it has stabilityissues like “kernel panic”.

Then I found yourbuild in Beelink Forum and the instructions to burn the image andjust replacing the dtb.img (Vim?) with GT King Pro dtb.img seems easyenough so I tried your build for both Debian Buster and Ubuntu 20.04LTS. With your guidances, I finally got it to work (needed revision Adtb.img).  Your Debian and Ubuntu build were my first introduction toactually using Linux OS.  I had issue with Debian Buster as on VideoPlayback especially on sound where the voice is being playback likein correct playback speed and hardly comprehensible whereas it wasworking fine in Ubuntu.  I notice in Ubuntu the Default Sink wasBuild-in Audio Stereo and in Debian Buster Build-in Audio Analog Mono(which look odd as it should be the same as in Ubuntu: Build-in AudioStereo) but I am not sure how to configure Debian to change theDefault to Build-in Audio Stereo to test whether the video playbackvoice issue would be resolved.  As such, I basically now use Ubuntu20.04 LTS Xfce mainly where I have reasonably good video playbackperformance and voice is good.

Thanks for info onsetting up KDE Desktop Environment. I did disable the KDE Compositoron Startup and but I did not “Check” Allow application to blockcompositing.  Will try that out when I try out Kubuntu DesktopEnvironment on Ubuntu.

I am still not surewhich Armbian image, uboot, etc to download to get Armbian to workwith GT King Pro.  Any guidance on how to which Armbian image todownload and how to set it up to work on GT King Pro will be muchappreciated.  Somehow, I am not clear on Balbes150 instructions.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2020-09-26 13:01:42 | Show all posts
spikerguy replied at 2020-09-26 08:24
There is no support for S922X-H on Mainline, I need help with dtb @darkstar did you compile your own ...

Hi Spikerguy,

How is your Manjaro for GT King Pro build getting along? Stable enough?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2020-09-26 13:18:18 | Show all posts
darkstar replied at 2020-09-26 05:06
Mainline kernel is not stable enough yet, for now I will not release a firmware with mainline kerne ...

Hi Darkstar,

If you have a working image of Armbian on GT King Pro, I won't mind giving it a try but I am loss in getting one working with the instructions listed on the Armbian Forum.  Thanks.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2020-09-26 16:53:16 | Show all posts
Edited by darkstar at 2020-09-26 20:21
spikerguy replied at 2020-09-26 08:24
There is no support for S922X-H on Mainline, I need help with dtb @darkstar did you compile your own ...

Dear @spikerguy,

For legacy kernel I'm using Corelecs dtb which was prepared very well.
For mainline kernel I'm using Librelecs DTB and yes you are right about kernel panic.

By the way I'm using khadas repo for builds and they made lots of patches to mainline kernel.
I did not prepar a device tree, actually mainline kernel supports GT King and Pro and device tree is in it.
The problem is you are using Armbian's kernel and balbes150 doesn't include GT King dtbs in it.
He doesn't like Beelink, I don't know why but he refuses to answer questions about GT King series.

When I tried Librelec there is no kernel panic and that means problem is not related to dtb file.
I think it is related to kernel itself.

Meanwile I build Manjaro for vim3 and there is no sound on gt king pro.
I tried all branches stable, testing, unstable all are same no sound.

Maybe you know but let me tell you Ugoos AM6 device tree boots on gt king pro and it runs well.
I will try to boot Armbian with khadas kernel

I attached mainline dtbs that I use to this message.

Same error as other arm64 platforms, I think it is common problem.

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-ar ... trDOcCdrXg@diego/T/

IMG_20200926_140555.jpg

GT-King-mainline-dtbs.zip

19.26 KB, Downloads: 90

GT King DTB Files

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2020-09-26 17:07:50 | Show all posts
Edited by darkstar at 2020-09-26 17:55
JFL replied at 2020-09-26 13:18
Hi Darkstar,

If you have a working image of Armbian on GT King Pro, I won't mind giving it a try  ...

I wanted you to see yourself that mainline kernel is not stable enough never mind Armbian crashes on gt king pro.

If you want to try download latest image from link below, flash it with balenaetcher.

after flash follow the instructions below.
1- extract attached dtbs to boot partition  /BOOT/dtb/amlogic/  folder.
2- rename u-boot-s905x-s922 file to u-boot.ext
3- edit file /BOOT/extlinux/extlinux.conf it must look like below.
  1. LABEL Armbian
  2. LINUX /zImage
  3. INITRD /uInitrd

4. FDT /dtb/amlogic/meson-g12b-gtking-pro.dtb
  5. APPEND root=LABEL=ROOTFS rootflags=data=writeback rw console=ttyAML0,115200n8 console=tty0 no_console_suspend consoleblank=0 fsck.fix=yes fsck.repair=yes net.ifnames=0
Copy the Code

https://users.armbian.com/balbes ... -rc6_desktop.img.xz

If you want you can try Khadas VIM3 official firmware too with attached dtbs.
VIM3 instructions are same as my builds copy dtb to boot partition and rename it as dtb.img.

https://dl.khadas.com/Firmware/V ... 0.9.3-200907.img.xz

GT-King-mainline-dtbs.zip

19.26 KB, Downloads: 98

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2020-09-27 08:39:08 | Show all posts
Hello,
Yes I use balbes branch and there is a reason for that.

Khadas uses patches from the amlogic kernel developer from Baylibre and we all work together at linux-amlogic to get amlogic boards support to mainline kernel.

What balbes does is extract all the clean updates from the main maintainers of amlogic kernel and create his branch which is a good thing for distro maintainer like me.  

Ive tried Khadas branch but that only have patches for khadas boards while I also Maintain other amlogic board so Either will have to use upstream branch from the maintainer which is broken into node specific branches to push the changes upstream or use Balbes branch and I like to use Balbes branch as I can cordinate with him easily when needed. It is very hard to maintain device specific kernel like you mentioned khadas specific which I tried but those patches are already part of balbes branch. I don't use armbian kernel I build my own from balbes branch.
Ive tested ugoos dtb and still had the same kernel panic.  Did it work fine for you?  You need to try to copy a large file around 1.5 -3gb and see if it gets you in kernel panic mode.

Regarding the dtb from ugoos I've tried it and it have the same issue,  me and Christian Hewitt from libreelec and asked for help from amlogic kernel maintainer and hopefully we should be able to get a fix for it very soon.

We try to work together at linux community and not hate im anyone it is just a preference of balbes to not work with amlogic as they don't have any straight forward approach but he have done alot for amlogic kernel already in the past.

I always cordinate with armbian, libreelec and the upstream maintainer when I get stuck.

Currently were still figuring out what is wrong with the Beelink devices that's causing deadlock and kernel panic.

Thanks for the update,  I see that kernel maintainers are giving some of their time in getting S922X-H issue fixed.  
Will get back to you with some good news.

Cheers.
Beelink GTR7 (7840HS) - Manjaro Linux
Beelink SER5 (5600U) - Manjaro Linux
Beelink GT1 Ultimate (S912) - Libre Elec TV
Beelink GT King Pro (S922X-H) - Manjaro ARM Linux
Beelink GS King X (S922X-H)  -

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2020-09-27 11:35:30 | Show all posts
darkstar replied at 2020-09-26 17:07
I wanted you to see yourself that mainline kernel is not stable enough never mind Armbian crashes { ...

Hi Darkstar,

Thanks for sharing.  Going to get a new USB drive and hope can get these new builds to work on my Revision A GT King Pro and revert.  

Best Rgds.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2020-09-27 11:57:26 | Show all posts
Hi Darkstar & Spikerguy,

I hope Beelink and other major manufacturers of TV Boxes are working with you all and the Linux Kernel developers so that Linux OS can be used in more devices.  Linux is more flexible than Android but to be able to compete, the Linux OS need to be optimized so that it can compete with Android speed wise, like having specific/group of GPU drivers to optimize the performance of the large numbers of SOC around.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2020-09-27 12:33:32 | Show all posts
I got kernel panic with every kernel I tried, what I mean is Khadas kernel performs better than balbes.
For now I have only GT King Pro and thats why it is my priority.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign up

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list