View: 5571|Reply: 5

EFI Boot Menu Key Sequence

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2019-03-20 23:59:39 | Show all posts |Read mode
Hi, I want to re-install Windows 10.  I do this with all my new PCs, to prove that I can get Windows going again from scratch in case I have to replace the HD.  I wanted to know what key sequence I should press in order to enter the EFI boot menu so I can choose to boot from the stick.  Also what tool do you recommend to create the bootable USB stick.  I use Rufus, but I have seen posts for the other models using UltraISO.  I tried the Windows Media Creation tool, but the system will not boot at all when a stick created with it is inserted.  I am generally very pleased with the unit, but am a technical user, and would like to confirm I can re-install the OS, as needed.  I assume that the system (since it's activated) has a digital license, that will let me re-install the OS without a key.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Super Moderator

Credits
Post time 2019-03-21 19:01:55 | Show all posts
Reply Support 0 Not support 1

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2019-03-21 21:53:49 | Show all posts
The activated copy of Windows 10 on my J45 is Windows 10 Pro.  But, whenever a USB disk device (a bootable on non-bootable one) is plugged in on boot, the unit doesn't seem to boot, and I get no video at all.  I remove the device (an external 12 TB data drive for instance), and pretty quickly I get booted into Windows.  What I am looking for is the key sequence, or other technical information (a manual would be great) to get into a BIOS/UEFI menu to let me choose the boot device.  I can't seem to trigger that menu.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Super Moderator

Credits
Post time 2019-03-22 14:33:56 | Show all posts
WaiverWireAddic replied at 2019-03-21 21:53
The activated copy of Windows 10 on my J45 is Windows 10 Pro.  But, whenever a USB disk device (a bo ...

System installation tutorial
Gemini J install windows 10 tutoria.pdf (413.46 KB, Downloads: 813)

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2019-03-24 23:10:14 | Show all posts
Hello, I have resolved this problem.  The problem was occurring because i had the unit connected to it's keyboard and monitor via an IOGEAR model GCS62HU KVM.  When I hooked the unit up without the KVM, I see the normal menu prompts on boot.  I post this in case anyone else makes my mistake, or in case you are curious to figure out why hooking up through a KVM (or that KVM) effectively suppress the EFI boot menu.  Thank you for your time looking into this.  I imagine it must have been a strange post to you.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2019-04-26 19:44:57 | Show all posts
@WaiverWireAddic
I had simular issue. First it didn't detect any usb boot deviced I connected. After I changed the boot type in BIOS from UEFI to LEGACY it was able to detect them, but during boot, all went black. Strangely enough after I changed the boot method back to UEFI he was able to detect the USB drives and boot from USB.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign up

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list