GT King Pro - Debian10 Buster & Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Focal Fossa Firmware

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2020-09-28 01:32:52 | Show all posts

Hi Darkstar,

Where the articlegoes on to:

“You need to install a few libraries, butfirst, the basic step is to update the system typing the following ona Terminal:
sudo apt-get updatesudo apt-get upgradeThen, install the libraries typing:
sudo apt-get install libgles2-mesa libgles2-mesa-dev xorg-devTo be able to activate the hardwareacceleration, first we need to enable the 3D video driver (so-calledFake KMS), and then set the memory to e.g. 128MB (this is usually a defaultvalue). To do that:
  • Start the raspi-config        configurator, typing in a Terminal:        
            sudo raspi-config
  • Go to        Advanced Options        > GL Driver
  • Select the        option GL (Fake KMS) OpenGL        desktop driver with fake KMS and        Click OK
  • Go to        Advanced Options        > Memory Split
  • Type 128        and click OK
  • Select Finish and Reboot the system.”

After that thearticle go on “Enable hardware acceleration in Chromium”

I noticed both“libgles2-mesa-dev and xorg-dev”are already installed in Ubuntu 20.04 LTS image fromyour link, except that “libgles2-mesa” hasnot been installed but available in the repo. Does these librariesapplies to GT King Pro too for Hardware Acceleration? Meaning we can set and use HardwareAcceleration in Chromium and also Firefox by following the above instructions.

Chromium_Hardware_Accel_Scr.pdf

104.9 KB, Downloads: 67

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2020-09-28 13:52:10 | Show all posts
Hi Darkstar,

I understand you mentioned a few times your build included framebuffer hardware acceleration, does libgles2-mesa-dev libraries have the same effect or does it work at all with the amlogic S922X devices? I also noticed that libgles2-mesa-dev was installed as "transitional dummy package" and libgles2-mesa also described as "transitioinal dummy package" but not installed.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2020-09-28 14:46:13 | Show all posts
Edited by darkstar at 2020-09-28 14:57
JFL replied at 2020-09-28 13:52
Hi Darkstar,

I understand you mentioned a few times your build included framebuffer hardware accele ...

There is "NO 3D HARDWARE ACCELERATION" for Amlogic S922X devices yet on XFree Server, it is in development progress. please stop asking for it.

You can try whatever you want, I'm not using chromium and will not use it in the future.

Frame Buffer device is a totally different topic; You can not use FBdev unles you stop using XFree Server.
Those builds are pure Debian & Ubuntu versions and I'm not customizing them as Coreelec or Libreelec to run on FBDevice.
Coreelec & Librelec doesn't use Xfree Server and that is why they use Frame Buffer 3d hardware acceleration.

My purpose on this topic is to share Stable Linux Builds for other users who are interested.
After a user installed my build he/she can do what ever he/she wants.
For example : Setup A File server, Setup a Web server, setup a media server and etc.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2020-09-28 15:21:11 | Show all posts
darkstar replied at 2020-09-28 14:46
There is "NO 3D HARDWARE ACCELERATION"  for Amlogic S922X devices yet on XFree Server, it is in dev ...

My ignorance. Misunderstood the libgles2-mesa-dev is actually NOT installed.
Understood your message clearly.

I have not received the new USB drive yet so did not try out the Armbian and your new mainline kernel images yet. Once the USB arrive most likely after October 3 or later.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2020-09-28 15:39:24 | Show all posts
darkstar replied at 2020-09-28 14:46
There is "NO 3D HARDWARE ACCELERATION"  for Amlogic S922X devices yet on XFree Server, it is in dev ...

Your Ubuntu 20.04 LTS 4.9 Kernel is very stable and video performance has been good, Appreciate your good work and support.  Sorry for my ignorance and had not sinked in that there is NO 3D hardware acceleration yet for Amlogic S922X which you had point out much earlier.  My apologies.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2020-09-29 23:02:09 | Show all posts
darkstar replied at 2020-09-26 17:07
I wanted you to see yourself that mainline kernel is not stable enough never mind Armbian crashes { ...

Hi Darkstar,

Managed to burn the Armbian_Bullseye_5.9.0-rc6 image on a SDHC card and able to boot up successfully.  But with a major issue.  The wifi (2.4GHz and 5GHz) is very very slow.

When performing the sudo apt update and sudo apt upgrade after first successful boot up, encountered a lot errors and failed to fetch http://deb.debian.or/debian/pool/main/.....  I think it is due to very very slow or unreliable wifi connections.  

Start up the default Web Browser and check the internet connection speed using the YouTube "Stats for nerds" it shows internet coonection speed as low as 18 Kbps to 315 Kbps.  Chromium page load is also very very slow.  

Are you facing the same very very slow wifi connection issue?  Any suggestion how to resolve slow wifi connection?  I double check the wifi connection with your Ubuntu 20.04 LTS 4.9 Kernel the wifi speed seems to be good and I also tested the wifi connection speed on my Windows Laptop, no issue with the wifi speed.  Only when I use the Armbian_Bullseye_5.9.0-rc6 image.

The local Test.mp4-mpv file video played OK.  

Initially, I planned to your the Arbian_Bullseye_5.9.0-rc6 on GT King Pro to respond to you but I gave up as it was painfully slow.  This is my feedback on Arbian mainline Kernel.  The slow connection speed does not allow me to download office suite to test further.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2020-09-30 01:40:27 | Show all posts
I wanted you to see yourself that mainline kernel is not stable enough never mind Armbian crashes { ...

The other I notice in Armbian_Bullseye_5.9.0-rc6, when you drag to move a window there is a tearing effect or some sort of noise on the windows.

USB port works, I can copy file from the SD Card to USB Drive.

The wifi internet connection on Armbian is still very very slow, loading up bee-link forum page can take a few minutes and at times will be disconnected.  Appreciate suggestions on how to rectify or troubleshoot the slow wifi connection.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2020-09-30 11:09:20 | Show all posts

New update on Armbian_Bullseye_5.9.0-rc6.  I wanted to test if connected to the Ethernet [Ifupdown (eth0) directly whether there is any difference in speed compared to wifi (2.4GHz or 5GHz).  As it turned out there is a huge difference in Ifupdown (eth0) (5,000 to 230,000Kbps) versus wifi (16 to 315Kbps) all these figures according to YouTube (Stats for nerds).

Video streaming with Ethernet connections can support YouTube 1080p/60 well (roughly the same as Ubuntu 20.04 LTS 4.9 Kernel).  But the big issue is at my work table I can only connect via wifi and has no Ethernet connection available.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2020-09-30 14:26:38 | Show all posts

Hi Darkstar,

The Armbian_Bullseye_5.9.0-rc6 do have stability issue.  It has freeze 3 times, once during "sudo apt upgrade", and second time when I accidently click at to load up armbian forum in the default web browser and third time with six tabs open in the web browser and click on Terminal Emulator on the Top Menu Bar.  But OS Freeze is not repeatable but it did freeze 3 times.  The secod time when the system freeze the Htop is indicating CPU Temp at 66C and Cpu Freq. 1.99 GHz and 1.99GHz.  The think is that when I touch the top of the GT King Pro casing it wasn't hot just mild warm.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2020-09-30 21:28:54 | Show all posts
JFL replied at 2020-09-30 14:26
Hi Darkstar,

The Armbian_Bullseye_5.9.0-rc6 do have stability issue.  It has freeze 3 times, once ...

Hi JFL,

I'm not the maintainer of Armbian images,
I gave you the direct link of official Armbian image.

If you need help you can ask directly to @balbes150 on armbian forum.
As I said I wanted you to know that mainline kernel is not stabel on Amlogic S922X yet.
That is why I'm not releasing mainline builds.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign up

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list