Return to list New
View: 7956|Reply: 10

SER5 MAX fan noise instructions

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-12-02 02:35:17 | Show all posts |Read mode
I have recently purchaced SER5 MAX and it makes too much noise as the fan spins up and down.
I 've tweaked the BIOS and brought the noise down but I am not sure that my settings won't cause any trouble.

I 've read many reviews that state that the SER5 Pro is really quiet and I wish it was the same for my SER5 MAX which is more gaming oriented.
Can someone please post the settings for fan setup of SER5 Pro so that I can apply them to my SERP5 MAX?
I don't mind the loss of performance.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-12-02 12:42:34 | Show all posts
I've had better success with these settings. SER5 Max will be super silent with these:

BIOS-->Advanced-->AMD CBS-->NBIO Common Options-->SMU Common Options-->Fan Control

Set it to [Auto]

BIOS-->Advanced-->Smart Fan Function

Smart CPU_Fan Mode     [Manual]
Manual PWM Setting     [100]
Smart SYS_Fan Mode     [Manual]

With these settings, under load, the processor stays at 54 Watts until the temperature climbs to 93 DEG CENT. At 93, it gradually reduces the TDP and stabilizes at 42W. The temps are around 85 DEG CENT.

For ordinary applications (non-gaming), this setting will result in a ultra quite computer. I will include a noise sample in my upcoming video review on YouTube.

5800H is rated for Tjmax of 105 DEG. So, it is OK from AMD's side. It's upto Beelink to say if their motherboard can handle a sustained temperature of close to 90 DEG. If so, you can use the setting for gaming and other demanding applications.
AMD-Fan-Control.png
Mobo-Fan-Control.png
Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-12-02 10:24:03 | Show all posts
Maybe you can ajust the fan speed----BIOS--Advanced---AMD CBS--SMU COMMON options---fan control----Choose manual---fan table--- manual -- then you can adjust the temperature. 
Then you can set corresponding data, such as belowing data.

[Fan off temperature limit] : 35
[Fan start temperature limit] : 40
[Fan full speed temperature limit] : 90
[Fan start PWM] : 65

Hope it can help you and have a nice day!
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2023-12-02 15:50:58 | Show all posts
Edited by thdervenis at 2023-12-02 15:51
FreeSupport replied at 2023-12-02 12:42
I've had better success with these settings. SER5 Max will be super silent with these:

BIOS-->Advan ...

I did exactly what you suggested and the noise was indeed noticably lower.
Before I posted my issue to this thread I had almost the exact same settings with the fan noise being even lower, which I find more comfortable to where I am sitting.

The thing is I am not technical enough to know if my settings will damage the computer. Do you know if setting Manual PWM Setting to 80 might damage the computer?

Also can you post a link to you channel or your YouTube channel name? I look forward to checking out your review.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

My settings are:

BIOS-->Advanced-->AMD CBS-->NBIO Common Options-->SMU Common Options-->
Fan Control: [Auto]

BIOS-->Advanced-->Smart Fan Function
Smart CPU_Fan Mode     [Manual]
Manual PWM Setting     [80]
Smart SYS_Fan Mode     [Manual]

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-12-02 21:26:58 | Show all posts
Hi.
I've re-allocated VRAM to 8Gb ( I have the 32Gb RAM version)

It also slows down the fan noise.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-12-03 03:19:21 | Show all posts
Hello, I tested the SER5 MAX thoroughly and here are my observations:

The lowest noise is in Manual Mode set at "BIOS-->Advanced-->Smart Fan Function". With this, the fan will get locked at a low RPM. Problem is once the CPU hits 93 DEG, the TDP starts reducing from 54 Watts and will stabilise at 40 Watts. So, you now have a slower computer, but it is quieter. [2-Lowest-Noise.png]

The "Automatic" and "Full On Mode" maintain the 54 Watts for quite some time, but drop to 50 Watts occasionally. In "Full On Mode", the fan is spinning at 100% all the time, but there is still a reduction in the TDP, which means the the SER5 actually needed a better cooler like the SER7's vapour chamber. [1-Automatic.png][3-Max-Fan.png]

@tuiguang7, any settings under "AMD CBS" are overridden by the settings in "BIOS-->Advanced-->Smart Fan Function". Set it to whatever there, it would not matter anyway. [4-No-Use.png]

There is a way if you want both silence and performance, that if you don't mind the higher idle temperatures. If you set the fan trigger temperatures high, it will not scream when using low-end applications. It will kick in for demanding applications (including gaming). "FAN Start PWM" can be 80 and above, I set it to 100 since it takes just a few seconds to get there. The noise the SER5 makes is similar to that of a jet turbine. With the PWM at 100, the noise is atleast constant instead of whining up and down. [5-Silent-Rocket.png]

@thdervenis The name of my YouTube channel is ArjunAndVishnu. I have uploaded noise samples in different modes to the channel. In the video, you can check how the Package Temperature and the TDP effect the noise levels. I will post the link in the immediate message.

From what I see, any fan setting will take the SER5 to 93 DEG CENTIGRADE at full load anyway. So, it is up to you to choose whether you sacrifice the TDP for lesser noise, or let it go all out. If the caps on the motherboard are good quality, it will do alright at that temperature. Beelink can answer better if it can handle a sustained temperature of 90+ DEG. Most of the modern computers go obsolete far before they break, and driving them at full speed if often the right thing to do.
2-Lowest-Noise.png
1-Automatic.png
3-Max-Fan.png
4-No-Use.png
5-Silent-Rocket.png

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-12-03 13:42:36 | Show all posts
Edited by FreeSupport at 2023-12-11 10:29

Looks like YouTube links are heading for moderation, and are not getting published.

So, posting it again. The noise sample video is here: youtu.be/fFxIuI7TdeY

4 settings - 1 minute sample each - You can use YouTube's Chapter feature to skip to the next section.

Things to observe:
1) Fan setting in BIOS
2) Power-->Package
3) Temperature-->Package
4) Listen to the fan noise in each setting

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-12-10 21:50:33 | Show all posts
Hey @Beelink,

What is used in the SER5 for thermal conductivity?

Is it "Thermal Paste" or "Liquid Metal"?

Need an answer please, thanks.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-12-11 16:20:28 | Show all posts
hello, it is hybrid thermal paste. Hope it helps, Have a nice day!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-12-11 23:58:37 | Show all posts
That is a very useful piece of information. It means we can re-paste with better thermal compounds in future. Thanks @tuiguang7

Use magic Report

12Next
Return to list New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign up

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list