View: 4420|Reply: 10

Wifi not working with Linux on Beelink SER5 Pro

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-06-24 00:01:45 | Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by lindhorst at 2023-06-24 00:06

I have a new Beelink SER5 Pro, AMD Ryzen 7 5800H, 32 GB RAM, 500 GB SSD. Wifi was fine in Windows11 that came with the unit, but I can't get it to work wiht Linux. I tried a couple of different distributions with the same outcome. Command "lspci" shows that I have an Intel adapter:
  1. ...
  2. 02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (rev 1a)
  3. ...
Copy the Code
The output of commands "modinfo iwlwifi​" and "dmesg | grep iwl" are attached.
Did anyone get wifi to work in Linux on this type of system? Any tips?
Thanks.

modinfo-iwlwifi-output.txt.gz

3.3 KB, Downloads: 89

dmesg-grep-iwl-output.txt.gz

545 Bytes, Downloads: 87

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-11-19 01:29:13 | Show all posts
As another user stated, booting into Windows 11 Pro first, ensuring that Wi-Fi is on, then restarting (not powering down) and booting Linux, appears to solve the problem. No idea why this is the case.

If someone is removing Windows 11 Pro and installing only Ubuntu then this could be an issue so I think just shrinking the Windows partition to the minimum allowable would be a better option. Then use GRUB customizer to remove Windows from the menu and start Ubuntu automatically.

There must be some driver issue in Ubuntu that prevents the Wi-Fi from starting up.

BTW, I had Fastboot disabled when I installed Ubuntu.

Another issue is getting GRUB to show up at all, you have to go into the BIOS settings and mess with the UEFI setting to choose Ubuntu to boot first.
Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-06-24 19:52:55 | Show all posts
What distro are you using? Did you have any trouble installing it?

I’m not even getting Ubuntu to load properly:

https://forum.bee-link.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=87047
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2023-06-28 22:40:59 | Show all posts
I tried both OpenSUSE and Ubuntu. I can install offline without problem, and if I make a wired internet connection, that works as well. I am specifically having no luck with WiFi.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-11-11 03:22:03 | Show all posts
I solved the WiFi problem of Beelink SER5 in a very strange way.
I have two SER5 Ryzen 7 5800h computers. After installing Linux Mint, the WiFi adapter did not work, but the adapter was present in the equipment list. I couldn't get it to work. Next, I REBOOTED the computer and launched Windows 11, which remained as the second system. Here the WIFI adapter caught the network perfectly. Next, I rebooted the computer again and started Linux. It is important to note that I rebooted, not turned off.
After rebooting, WI-FI suddenly started working in Linux Mint. An icon has appeared in the system tray. Wireless networks began to appear. Everything has been working for two months now. The computer was turned off, unplugged, and turned on again. And now the adapter always works.
I did the same with the second computer. And there, too, WIFI appeared in Linux MINT.
There was a case when I accidentally pulled out the power to the computer. After turning on Linux, Bluetooth disappeared, but WI-FI remained. Again I couldn’t get Bluetooth to work. I rebooted the computer into Windows 11, everything worked there. I rebooted back into Linux, Bluetooth started working here too. A very strange way.
Today I installed the latest version of Ubuntu. And again Wi-Fi didn't work. The Windows method worked again.
Good luck everyone!
I hope that there is some more convenient way to activate WI-Fi in Linux.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-11-11 04:28:07 | Show all posts
It sounds like you have forgotten to disable Fastboot in WIndows before Linux install. Disable Fastboot and Bitlocker in Windows before Linux install.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-11-11 17:16:26 | Show all posts
linuxuser replied at 2023-11-11 04:28
It sounds like you have forgotten to disable Fastboot in WIndows before Linux install. Disable Fastb ...

How are Fastboot and Bitlocker related to WI-Fi in Linux?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-11-11 23:46:53 | Show all posts
Edited by linuxuser at 2023-11-12 00:10

Search the web, to disable fastboot is recommended always. I noticed the same problem with Wifi. Installing Ubuntu I was not asked for my Wifi password.I forget to disable fastboot simply. If you are not asked to choose a Wifi AP and have no ethernet connection there is something wrong. After disabling Fastboot the available Access points were shown. Fastboot, as it says, helps booting faster and Windows stores "things" for fastboot, but this irritates the hardware query during Linux installation somehow. Bitlocker encrypts the partition and this can influence the installation too. But the Web knows more, why. I don't care why, because I do not need bitlocker. If you are interested in encryption make a LUKS partition. Depending on why you want enryption, a small encrypted partition can be useful, but I do not see a reason for me to encrypt everything.

BTW if you see no menu to boot Linux, after the Linux installation and if you cannot change the bootorder in the bios, use efibootmgr to see the bootorder. I am talking generally, there are motherboards where the Linux system is not recognized. I did not check how beelink behaves, I use generally efibootmgr.

1. sudo efibootmgr -v
  2. BootCurrent: 0002
  3. Timeout: 1 seconds
  4. BootOrder: 0004,0002,0003
Copy the Code

You can change this with "-o" in a Linux live system.

something like
  1. sudo efibootmgr -o 0003,0002
Copy the Code

Since grub starts Windows, there is no need to assign the boot order for Windows. 3 ist the usb-drive normally, 2 ubuntu using a Linux Live System to change the boot order.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-11-12 01:57:13 | Show all posts
linuxuser replied at 2023-11-11 23:46
Search the web, to disable fastboot is recommended always. I noticed the same problem with Wifi. Ins ...

Very interesting. Thank you!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2023-12-03 06:40:55 | Show all posts
booting into Windows 11 Pro first, ensuring that Wi-Fi is on, then restarting (not powering down) and booting Linux, appears to solve the problem. No idea why this is the case.

Same has worked for me.
Win 11 SER5 5500 AMD Ryzen5 on Ubuntu 22.04

Use magic Report

12Next
Return to list New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign up

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list