Please select To the mobile version | Continue to access the desktop computer version
View: 3809|Reply: 1

GK Mini - review and full home server tutorial

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Website Editor

Credits
Post time 2021-09-21 20:45:23 | Show all posts |Read mode
Just wanted to say that I've recently received a GK mini and I have used it as the basis for setting up a home server. When I received the unit it was securely wrapped and the retail packaging feels premium.
The goal of my tutorial was to be able to have proxmox running as the base OS, but still have docker (and portainer) running in a lightweight LXC container. I also installed Home-Assistant in a VM.
The GK mini was perfect for this. Even loaded at the moment, it's only running 3% CPU. Memory is around 29% but I expect most of that to be due to the hypervisor.

The unit itself is well made, with a nice finish and despite being extremely light, it doesn't feel cheap. It has a smaller footprint than the 6th gen celeron NUC it's going to be replacing. If anyone is interested in the full tutorial with all commands and screenshots, you can see it here:

https://www.thesmarthomebook.com/2021/09/21/home-server-installing-docker-portainer-home-assistant-on-proxmox/

Here you can see the current server utilisation. Obviously it will increase as I load more containers onto it, but it's for reference:

Feel free to reach out if anyone has any questions or thoughts on the above.

thx
Andy

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Website Editor

Credits
 Author| Post time 2022-02-23 11:56:58 | Show all posts
In case anyone has been following or is interested to learn more, I've since implemented docker container control with Home-Assistant. You can find more about this here:

https://www.thesmarthomebook.com ... -docker-containers/
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Advanced Mode
B Color Image Link Quote Code Smilies |Upload

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list