Please select To the mobile version | Continue to access the desktop computer version
View: 4583|Reply: 3

GTR 7 usb boot

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2021-09-02 23:24:00 | Show all posts |Read mode
So I have this iso (security Onion) that i put onto afew different usb drives, and they will not boot on the GTR.  I have put this usb into several other pc's and it booted up just fine.  I updated to the current bios, I've tried turing off TPM, secure boot, turning on and off Legacy mode, made usb first in the boot chain, nothing works.  Any ideas are welcome.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2021-09-11 06:56:13 | Show all posts
I think the process is just like installing Win 10 from an iso file on a USB thumb drive.  I think secure boot is off.  TPM should not matter and Legacy is off because the GTR uses UEFI not a Legacy Rom on motherboard.  When you restart the computer you press ESC/DEL or F7 to get the blue box to see your boot options displayed.  You select the USB thumb drive and boot from this thumb Drive.  Also before you do all this I think you should not change the boot order in the bios.  Keep it as it was from the factory.  You can press the reset cmos button to reset button to go back to factory configuration.  Then restart and press  F7 to get to the blue screen and select the thumb drive to force a boot from it.  However when you power up the computer from off or do a restart the computer will most likely boot from the Solid state drive which has windows 10 on it.  But I do not know what this onion iso does to the SSD.  So I am just guessing at this point.
Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2022-09-25 01:19:50 | Show all posts
Edited by crpt at 2022-09-25 01:47

Just like the OP.
My brand new GTR 5 (5900HX 32gb 512gb nvme -1tb SSD), just a few days old. Has exactly the same issue! Regarding booting from a USB drive.
All USB drives I tried so far (5 of them) boot perfectly well on other machines I've got around, 4 different PC's of widely different makes and ages! Bootable USB drives were made with E2B, Rufus, etc. So on other PC's those same USB boot perfectly. But not on this "premium" machine! :-(
This GTR 5, upon boot (pressing F7) recognize and correctly name all USB drives.
But choosing the desired USB drive followed by Enter. Produce absolutely no effect!
I've already tried on several ports, USB 2.0 and 3.0 with exactly the same effect... Nothing.

Any help is welcomed since I'm getting out of ideas! My wild guess is that some option is wrongly on or off on the BIOS. I just don't know which?      

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Veteran

Credits
Post time 2022-09-26 08:07:00 | Show all posts
Edited by rmarion59 at 2022-09-27 19:18

Your disk probably has a MBR partition table. When the boot disk is MBR while the boot mode is UEFI, then, you cannot boot from this disk. To resolve this issue, you may want to enter the BIOS and change the "Boot Mode Select" from UEFI to LEGACY. That should fix your problem!!!

Also... You may eventually want to convert your MBR disks to GPT. There are several ways to get it done. Free: DiskPart (part of Windows) and Commercial: AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional among several others.

I hope it helps!

Boot_[20-01-19].jpg
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign up

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list