Please select To the mobile version | Continue to access the desktop computer version
View: 2657|Reply: 3

can't boot, stuck on efi shell

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2021-02-13 23:39:23 | Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by darkmanta at 2021-02-13 23:41

Hi everybody.
I have installed Open Media Vault on the internal MMC. The first few reboots went well. Then I always reboot in EFI shell.

I have tried every possible (in my opinion) option:  reinstall OMV, playing with BIOS options, booting from external HDD or USB-Key.
Strange things happen:
  • After a reboot, I can only fall in the EFI shell. The BIOS can't see any bootable partition.
  • Bootable USB keys appear in BIOS only if I remove it, reboot, reinsert the key... then I can boot from BIOS to USB key.
  • If I boot a linux image from the USB key, its grub menu permits me to boot from the internal MMC. So it is bootable but BIOS can't recognize it.
  • If I install linux from USB key to USB HDD, I can boot from it only the first time. Then I fall in the EFI shell again. Actually I boot from a USB key and its grub menu permits me to boot from external HD.
  • After a reboot I can't see any bootable HD in BIOS, either internal or external, unless I remove and reinsert it (not possible with the internal MMC).
  • I have changed any possible option in BIOS, even loaded the default configuration. Nothing changes.

This is very strange. This kind of system is unusable, I am thinking to give it back....
Any suggestion is well appreciated.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrator

Credits
Post time 2021-03-04 10:41:12 | Show all posts
Sorry for replying in time

1. Do you mean that the system cannot be installed on the HDD, so it can only go to the shell interface?
2. Do you want to install Linux system?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2022-09-24 20:18:20 | Show all posts
Mine is also stuck on EFI shell.
I installed Linux and also tried to update BIOS from file Beelink sent me, but the BIOS files sent to me are not working.
Since then I just get EFI shell and nothing else.

I can boot from USB but not from internal HDD

Please help!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2023-11-02 05:05:55 | Show all posts
Edited by darkmanta at 2023-11-02 05:35

Some Linux versions can boot from internal disk without problems, some can not. I don't know why...
Open Media Vault can not, but its behavior is strange, it boots from internal disk for a while than it goes and get stuck on EFI shell  without any change to the system and can not boot anymore.
Is it a BIOS problem?

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign up

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list