Please select To the mobile version | Continue to access the desktop computer version
View: 4529|Reply: 1

Memory upgrade issues and possible solution

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2021-01-23 11:50:48 | Show all posts |Read mode
Similar to the GTR forum post (link) I went through a lot in order to get my new SEi10 to accept an upgrade from a single 8GB to 64GB (2x32) memory. I bought two, so luckily I could test between them, and it turns out that one will not accept any other memory than what it came with, although the other identical one worked after making a change in the BIOS.

F7 during boot for setup BIOS>>Chipset tab>>System Agent (SA) Configuration>>Memory Configuration>>Fast boot (change to disabled)

Then save and reboot to make sure change took effect, and power down and unplug to put in the new DDR4 memory sticks. The next bootup was slow, real slow, like a few minutes but it did boot to the operating system and the new memory was recognized. I was successful in a single stick 32GB in the top slot and also using both slots totaling 64GB

Applying that same method identically to the other system did not work, in fact I tried every combination while giving time between attempts because of another strange behavior/symptom ...after all that, I prepared to return the faulty system and by the time I was going to box it up I tried one last time using the original memory and it booted up fine. I still expect to return the faulty one, but since I believe a BIOS change was needed, I wanted to share my experience.

I was convinced the specifications the system could upgrade to 64GB were deceptive and wrong, especially after reading the post I linked. In the process of trying to make it work, I purchased several different memory sticks, all expensive and slightly different to find the right one, and returned them but maybe if I tried the BIOS change earlier the original purchase would be fine. Ugh.

• Returned - Samsung 32GB DDR4 2666MHz RAM Memory Module for Laptop Computers (260 Pin SODIMM, 1.2V) M471A4G43MB1
  • Returned - HyperX Impact 64GB 2400MHz DDR4 CL15 SODIMM (Kit of 2) Laptop Memory HX424S15IBK2/64, 64GB Kit (2x32GB)
  • Working - Mushkin Essentials – DDR4 Laptop DRAM – 64GB (2x32GB) SODIMM Memory Kit – 2666MHz (PC4-21300) CL-19 – 260-pin 1.2V Notebook RAM – Dual-Channel – Low-Voltage – (MES4S266KF32GX2)

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrator

Credits
Post time 2021-03-03 13:43:54 | Show all posts
Sorry for not replying in time
So the Mushkin Essentials can work normally,right?

I asked the technician and he said that the time suquence may be different
It used AIDA64 to query the SPD message of the motherboard and got such a result
He said that if the timing is normal, it can work normally.
Can you provide the time sequence when you use Mushkin Essentials?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign up

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list