View: 2476|Reply: 4

16TB Hard Drive needs drivers

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2020-10-21 05:37:13 | Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by clarkss12 at 2020-10-21 05:43

Added 16TB drive into one of the drive bays of the GS King X, but determined that this Android device needs a firmware update to support this 16TB drive.  I am using a Seagate Model ST16000NM001G 16TB hard drive.  
When I install it, it reformats and allows me to read and write to it, without issues.  The problem is that after I add media files to the hard drive, and reboot the GS King X, the drive is not discoverable under Android, so I have to reformat the drive.  I installed the drive two or three days ago, and tried seveal times to get it to work, but it always requires a reformat after a crash or reboot.

I have a 4TB drive installed, but never had an issue with it...

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2020-10-24 07:50:52 | Show all posts
Edited by clarkss12 at 2020-10-24 07:54

Problem has been solved.

Using the DiskGenius app that you sent me (I downloaded the English version), I was able to get the 16TB to work.  

1. I opened the DiskGenius app, after installing it onto my Windows 10 PC.

2. I selected the "Quick Partition" tab then selected the "3 partitions" option.
3. Changed the format for the small "system" partiton to fat32.  The large partition I changed the format to exFat......

4. Changed the label names then clicked OK.  The DiskGenius created the 3 partitions and it worked without issues.....

However, I wanted only ONE large partition, so went back into the DiskGenius and selected "custom" and created 2 partitions.  Now I have a large partition to store all of my media...........

Working great now........
Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrator

Credits
Post time 2020-10-21 14:36:07 | Show all posts
The Seagate 16TB HDD we tested has no problem. The same video can be played in 4TB without any problems. Will it crash in 16TB?

The technicians told me that you can try to format your hard disk in FAT32 format on the PC and then insert it into GS-King X. FAT32 format is more conducive to file reading. NTFS format is most suitable, but NTFS format has files Due to size limitation, files larger than 4GB cannot be stored.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2020-10-21 21:54:11 | Show all posts
I will try formatting the 16TB drive in fat32 and see if it looses initialization when it crashes or powered down.  Unfortunately, as you say, fat32 does NOT support files larger than 4GB, and most of my video files are larger than 4GB........

This is a great device for using as a stand alone media server, specifically an Emby server..... There is NO other Android device on the market that is this capable.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2020-10-22 06:02:17 | Show all posts
I formatted the drive in NTFS using my Windows 10 computer, but when I put it back into the GS King X, it asked "Format or Initialize this USB drive?".  No way to use the drive without reformatting it under Android.  It formats it to exFat.

After I add media files and reboot, I get the message "android is safely ejected", so no way to access that drive again.......  So, it appears that when I reboot the GS King X, it ejects the drive.  However, the 4TB drive is not affected (Android also formats it to exFat same as the 16TB drive).  I have tested with just this drive and not the 4TB drive, same issue.  I tried both HDD 1 and HDD 2 slots, still did not make a difference.........
Right now the 16TB drive is not usable........  
Again, it is a Seagate M/N ST16000NM001G

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign up

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list