View: 2127|Reply: 2

Is The Air Mouse Driving You Mad?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2019-10-05 10:49:15 | Show all posts |Read mode
Okay guys don't despair, all is not lost with the air mouse. Let me explain why:

Yes, during the setup of the king I wanted to pull my hair out because it was absolute Hell!! The pointer was jumping around like it had Parkinson's disease! I also had to stand no more than four feet away from the King Box because the air mouse dongle signal strength was so poor. The set up was much longer and much more stressful because of that cursed air mouse!!

After this terrible experience, I almost sent it back to Amazon but decided to give it one last chance. I remembered a usb ac powered hub, 4-port 3.0, lying around.  I plugged the hub into the Gt King and immediately there was a 50% Improvement in the overall performance, but it still was a far cry from my RIP Shield TV or my trusty Rii mini i8+.

Some extensive digging on the net resulted in an obscure video which had a great little hack involving the Rii mini i8+ (The GT Pro doesn’t even support this popular keyboard!!!) which I then adapted to the GT King.  You take the charging cord from the R-II Mini and plug the GT King air mouse dongle into the female USB end of it, then plug the male into the  AC powered hub. Then take the cord and move the business end down or up and making sure it's as far away as possible from the television and the GT King. in my case I placed it on a shelf below the equipment and nestled the business end up against some books so it looks a little bit like a cobra poised to strike. that ensures that the dongle can communicate more efficiently with the  air mouse.

Reboot your box, sit back and enjoy an air mouse that is equal to, if not better than the R-II mini and even the Nvidia Shield TV remote! It runs fast, smooth and is highly controllable!  What's more, it is so precise that you can even effortlessly click on tiny icons like the Wi-Fi one that's in the bottom right-hand side of the home screen!

By the way, if you don't have an R-II Mini charging cord you can use a standard generic USB female to male adapter cord and it will work just as well.

I'm not sure why this hack works and believe me I'm not an expert, but I think it might have something to do with incomplete shielding on both the RT king and the dongle causing them to interfere electro-magnetically with each other.

Okay, so don’t return that box yet or spend money on another controller that the GT King probably won’t even support…. Try this hack….   You never know!!!! I hope it works for you. Please let us know whatever the outcome.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2019-10-09 02:19:43 | Show all posts
I tried it with a USB extension and does work a bit better, the box seems to suffer from inadequate shielding because box has issues even with  bluetooth/wifi 2.4 interference from usb 3 devices.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2019-10-11 08:44:48 | Show all posts
Thanks chrmica for your reply, nice to see that not everyone is just lurking.  

Here is another hint that might be useful for some. This has happened a couple of times and is really minor if you know what to do.

I was trying to get my Sennheiser PCX550 headphones to work correctly so I was in the Bluetooth menu shutting it off and on and trying various things.

When I came back in after a reboot I had absolutely no mouse, it was dead.  However, I fixed it in 5 seconds.  All you have to do is disconnect and reconnect the mouse USB dongle, or as I did, disconnect from one port on my powered hub and reconnect to a different one and it fires right back up.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign up

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list