View: 2243|Reply: 2

clone or clean install for new mSATA ?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2019-01-28 01:43:58 | Show all posts |Read mode
I've seen a great price for a Kingston mSATA 480GB and thinking of upgrading from the 128GB mSATA that was included. Anything I should look out for or be aware of when choosing and is it easy to clone with an enclosure?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2019-01-28 02:40:30 | Show all posts
A similar SSD is available for USD$84.99 at MyDigitalDiscount.Com, just in case your overall price (including shipping/tariff/VAT) might be lower.

https://www.mydigitaldiscount.co ... 6.32%3BM1087%3Aa845

I replaced the original 120GB MSATA boot SSD with MyDigitalDiscount's 240GB MSATA.  I used a bootable USB thumbdrive to clone my Win10 setup to the 500GB internal storage SSD and then back to the new 240GB boot SSD.  Even though Norton Ghost said the cloning was successful the new SSD wouldn't boot.  I tried several times before accepting defeat and doing a clean install.  Fortunately, this was all quite early in my ownership of the X55 so there was little to rebuild beyond installing Win10 and a few sundry drivers again.  The tech at MyDigitalDiscount opined that the version of the Norton Ghost program used was too old for working with Win10, and recommended another.

Lesson learned.

-DB
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2019-02-04 09:27:04 | Show all posts
You can backup your whole drive into an image using 'Macrium Reflect', free edition. Image to external drive (must be Sata, mSata, or M.2, even connected via USB, but not just USB flash drive) and then restore onto new drive. Works like a charm. Very clear user interface, fully documented. Besides, I would recommend using it as backup solution for whenever your machine is going to fail... ;)
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign up

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list