View: 3307|Reply: 6

X45 - Internal HDD problem 2.5 inch drive 2TB WD 0.55a

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2019-01-27 02:23:52 | Show all posts |Read mode
What is the power limit on the internal hard drive sata connector?

I can not get my 2TB 2.5" WD to work properly. I had to fight to get it to format and for it to work even just as a read only drive, as soon as I try to write any data it fails.

I have since placed this into an enclosure and have no problems writing to the drive so it is no fault of the hard drive.

I am thinking too much power draw from writes is the problem as I have since placed an SSD inside and both reads and writes work perfectly.

WD20SPZX WD BLUE not working, only reading not writing 0.55a power rated 5v.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2019-01-27 09:08:08 | Show all posts
Even though the adverts say this series of Mini-PCs can handle 500GB-to-2TB drives (and even show a 1Amp 5Volt (5 watt avg. draw) spindle drive in the pictures), I believe that the rotating HDs just draw too much power, especially when during sustained writes.  I upgraded the M.2 MSATA SSD to 240GB and added a 500GB Samsung SSD in the SATA "HD" add-on slot in my X55 and both work just fine.  That's maybe a 4 watt momentary draw maximum during writes to the Samsung - the spindle HD likely tops 5+Watts peak during writes.  My numbers are approximates but I believe they're close enough.  It looks like the X45/55 power rails were designed too close to the edge.

I'd go with an SSD in this application; they're just soooo much faster.

-DB
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time 2019-01-28 01:40:43 | Show all posts
DarthBubba replied at 2019-01-27 09:08
Even though the adverts say this series of Mini-PCs can handle 500GB-to-2TB drives (and even show a  ...

If I fill up my 2TB first performing all the writes and then placing it back inside as an internal for read only and even perhaps set read only access to the drive would power be enough for read access? Reason it will be filled and no longer written to is gaming and all save data and programs will go to the msata drive. with 90GB free that is more than enough for programs like steam and emulators like citra and dolphin and ppsspp with files for the games stored on the 2TB.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2019-01-28 02:19:54 | Show all posts
GarethRossUK replied at 2019-01-28 01:40
If I fill up my 2TB first performing all the writes and then placing it back inside as an internal ...

I can't say with any certainty; I read manufacturer specs but did not measure power usage directly (I don't own the instrumentation to do this).  You already have the parts and are only risking some wasted time if it doesn't work.  Given the potential for long-term failure due to running the system right near its rated power all the time, and my own belt-and-braces nature, I personally would go for an all SSD solution.  No sarcasm, judgemental tone, or anything derogatory implied - I'm just reporting my solution and results.  The all SSD solution has worked for me for since around September of 2018.  My X55 Ultimate is a TV computer/seedbox for Linux .ISO distribution and runs 24/7.  It's certainly not straining to keep up these tasks.

I hope your system meets your needs and you have a lot of fun.

-DB

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2019-03-22 16:27:51 | Show all posts
try to buy a new 12v*3a or 5a source

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2019-06-10 21:11:16 | Show all posts
panduora replied at 2019-03-22 16:27
try to buy a new 12v*3a or 5a source

Have been in possession of my Gemini X45 for a week, and have had continual problems with the SSD I fitted internally - a Sandisk 240GB plus. The disk worked when fitted to an external enclosure.  However when fitted internally, the computer would hang at boot, I would be not be able to enter Bios. Things returned to normal once I removed it from the PC.

So I did two things - updated the bios to 0.14 (from 0.08). Also I purchased a new power supply - 12v 5a in line with your suggestion which made a lot of sense.

Since then, I haven't had any problems. Initially, I thought it might have been the supplied SATA cable, but as things are working now, I guess I can rule that one out.

I suppose I should have taken the scientific approach, BIOS first THEN power supply or vice versa, because then I could say which change had a positive effect.

But anyway, my disk works fine now - so I'm happy :)

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time 2019-06-11 18:01:56 | Show all posts
Edited by Pete22 at 2019-06-11 18:06

OK - a day later after my last and I'm starting to notice an inconsistency with read speed with my Sandisk SSD using the internal SATA link which is much lower than when the same disk is connected to a USB port. Attaching 3 Crystaldiskmark images:

[url=]
Sandisk SSD 1 5A.PNG - internal sata
Sandisk SSD 2 5A.PNG -internal sata
Sandisk SSD 3 USB 5A.PNG - USB 3 port

If I attach a WD HDD to the internal SATA then I never see any variance in speed (WD2500BEKT 250GB), it's always the same which seems to rule out the internal SATA cable as being the problem.
Attaching 2 Crystaldiskmark images:

WD HDD 1 5A
WD HDD 3 5A

So now, I use one of the USB ports for the SSD, and I use the internal SATA for the HDD.
[/url]
WD HDD 3 5A.PNG
WD HDD 1 5A.PNG
Sandisk SSD 3 USB 5A.PNG
Sandisk SSD 2 5A.PNG
Sandisk SSD 1 5A.PNG

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Sign up

Points Rules

Quick Reply To Top Return to the list